What are the hallmarks of attachment parenting?

I am a baby-wearing, home-birthing, non-vaxing, alternative medicine administering, nurse on-demand mama BUT I also believe in sleep training beginning at 6 months and spanking as a part of discipline.

Oh I also stay-at-home and home school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I am glad I'm not the only one who doesn't "vote the party line" on any one parenting theory. They are kids, not rats in a lab. There IS NO one right answer, and anybody who tells you differently is full of it, no matter what their beliefs are!

I think those of us that actually take the time to make decisions abou tour parenting techniques are the ones that are doing the best by our kids. It's not necessarily WHAT we choose to do. It's that we care enough to think it through and make a choice.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Why do you need a label? You are just a mom.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/28523
    Loving alternatives to parenting. A group I am in. I too am a spanker when needed so they will not bash that but I have taken much advice on alternatives to spanking which have really worked. Good luck! Also you can add me if you'd like!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think an attachment parent puts the relationship over the task....children are seen as developing people with developing relationship skills and a developing sense of self and world view...not a task to be managed and/or controlled.

Like all labels, though, there is a limit...and different perspectives and interpretations. I do not label myself as AP, but I fit to a degree. I also know other AP moms who have spanking in their toolbox...as well as other "extremists" like me who do not believe rewards OR punishment is the way to go.
    Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 3:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't understand the labels, why can't you just join one of the many groups, it's okay to be different. I don't believe in spanking but to each is own. Just be mom.
    mom-de-uno

Answer by mom-de-uno at 5:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Redirection is used until the child is old enough to understand discipline. You spank or put a 1 y/o on time out and they're not going to "get it". After that, there are many methods for discipline... if you're talking real world, though, you should look into natural or logical consequences (and spanking isn't one of them, though I am not personally apposed to spanking).

I think the bigger "no-no" is the sleep training... what's the purpose there, and so early? AP moms are less apt to understand why anyone would sleep train, especially if they are breastfeeding (IMO!).

I'm varied on many issues... (non vaccinating, but we circ... sue me! hah). If people don't accept me for who I am, they aren't worth my time. I've found that if I respect a mom on many different issues, I will also respect her (questionable) choices, regardless of if I agree with them personally. We all have different reasons.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It seems that there is no group for me on Cafemom ... I'm either a nut job for the first characteristics, or an abusive mother for the latter.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Damn...that is a hard one as far as groups. Here's a bump to help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• hmmm ... not sure

confused

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Kid coach

I guess this is the part that I have a hard time conveying to AP parents ... I don't use spanking to "manage or control" but to develop relationship skills and their worldview. IMO, spanking has a negative stigma to it, thanks to those who misuse it - that's not me and my style. We are very deliberate in teaching along with the spanking. I don't understand the concept of things like redirection, because that isn't the way it is the real world. Many of the AP disciplining techniques seem to me as if they are still attempting to control but just using different methods.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2010