how do I find out or applyfor low income status, so i can get help with renting an apt, and day care subsidy?

I have a lead on a job where I live..I would probably be making 2,000/mo, but more than half of that would go to rent where we live. I also will be getting childsupport, who knows how much, but lets just say 800-1000 (based on my husbands pay, and number of children)...so i still don't have enough to survive...3000/mo is not enough to survive where we live...

If i rented an apt for 1400/mo id only have around 1500 left to pay bills, and daycare and groceries, not to mention, insurance and gas for my car.

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Call your local health and human services department, they should be able to either help you or get you to the resources you need.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well, unfortunately, most assistance doesn't take into account bills, like rent and debt and stuff. They are figured based on your income and family size. But guidelines are different in different states to take into account general cost of living. Look in the phone book for WIC, public assistance, or health and human development (usually in government section of phone book) and they can help you figure out if and what you qualify for
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 3:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Thank you! :)
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• 1. GO TO YOUR LOCAL FAMILY SERVICE DEPARTMENT WHERE YOU CAN RECEIVE FOODSTAMP THEY CAN ALSO HELP YOU LOCATE DIFFERENT SERVICES IN YOUR AREA. OR CALL 411 DEPENDING ON YOU RESIDENTAL AREA . OR TRY MOVING TO A CHEAPER AREA SO YOU CAN SAVE MONEY INSTANT OF SPENDING IT.
    Dutchess941

Answer by Dutchess941 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• bump
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• it all depends on the income guidelines where you live. Here in MI, for a family of 3 you have to be making $1990 a month or less to qualify for anything
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I know this isn't what you want to hear, but $3,000 a month is a pretty decent amount (unless you have a high number of dependents). I don't think you would qualify for any assistance. Still, these things usually vary from program to program, and they go by the number of people in the household and the yearly salary only.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• for us $2400 a month and 5 people is not low income (here in Minnesota)
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Ok, well 3000/mo IS NOT a lot for where we live...full time daycare for ONE child is over 1000/mo! so for 2 children it would be over 2000/mo, how am i to feed them if all my money is going into day care...i wouldnt even have moeny to pay rent! Sorry that we cant all live in low cost of living areas!!
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Oh and seriously, rent can get up to 5000/mo in the area we live in! How is THAT my problem??? If you dont believe me, go to rent.com and put in Irvine Ca, or Aliso Viejo, CA, you'll see how expensive it is here!
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010