Should you allow your kids to go around your ex-husband family if they plotted together against you?

I was in a relationship with this man for 18 years he was abusive and also his family. His sisters' and mother were jealous of me and he they liked for him to do bad things to me. they came for a back ground were his father would beat his mother. I Don't have family support.

Dutchess941

Asked by Dutchess941 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would keep my children as far away as possible from these people....If possible, even move away and start a new life for myself and my children.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Depends on if he has visitation rights? You might not have a choice. but if you have a choice  i will say. I would not let him or his family see my child.

Answer by louise2 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Contrary to what in-laws or other relatives might believe they have absolutely not rights towards your child. If your ex has visitation rights, then you can't legally stop him from taking the children over there when he has them. However, if he does not that you have no obligation to allow any of his family. I personally would keep my children away if at all possible.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Okay , I really do feel that i don't want my kid around his family although it is the only family they have. My family is not around at all although we have a 4yr old boy and a 13 year girl. My son is crazy about his dad. So far I have been allowing him to get the kids. We haven't got the divorce yet are First court date is 1025. I just can't find it in my heart to take him away totally from his dad. I just make sure he stay as far away from me as possible. Their father grew up in a abusive household the mother in dad is still together they supported him in his behavior toward me( violence). He asked me if he could get the kids every first and third weekend . He already found a new woman. His Sister Which is my Kids Auntie Hate me with a passion because I started to fight back against his and theirs abusive. There Children which are my kids first cousins are involved in the hatred as well.
    Dutchess941

Comment by Dutchess941 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2010