"Don't ask, don't tell" - help me out here?

I have to post this Anon because I'm sure I'd get freaked out on over it, but I have an honest question regarding "Don't ask, don't tell". How is it a restriction on gay rights? I ask that in all honesty, because as a supporter of gay rights, I am confused on this issue. I feel like this policy protects both heterosexual and homosexual soldiers. It doesn't seem like a bad thing to me, because it keeps the focus on protecting our freedom, instead of more trivial issues like whether or not the person in the bunk next to you is gay or straight.

It also seems like a silly issue to see people like Lady Gaga freaking out over. Aren't there bigger fish to fry?

I'm honestly not trying to offend anyone. I really just don't understand. Comments welcome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Should gay soldiers be allowed to serve openly? Yes. Is repealing DADT going to make that happen? No. Not everyone believes that homosexuality is moral. No amount of "educating the heterosexual community" is going to make that happen. Who gets to be in the position of deciding what straight people need to "get over"? Everyone is entilted to their beliefs. This issue is a bit more complicated that it's portrayed here. And I agree with a previous poster. There are much bigger problems to be dealt with right now. It's not intended to be disrepectful to gay people but it's true.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think the original intention was good, but I believe it should be repealed... Basically, your sexuality is part of who you are. Soldiers will put up pictures of their SO's, talk about their wives/gf's/whatever, pick up girls whenever they're off base. And gay soldiers aren't allowed to do any of that. They can't talk about the important people in their lives, they have to lie or just stay mute on their private lifes... How is that fair? And honestly, I don't understand why it's such a big deal to repeal it. Do they honestly think gay soldiers will start humping others in the shower? Or maybe sneak into their beds at night and try to rape them? It's nuts...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• lady who?? lol...she goes into the same box as kanye and dixie chicks, for me.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't know how anyone can take Lady Gaga seriously at all. Has she ever released a song that had any kind of depth to it? Makes me think it's possible she's not a deep enough person to be able to take much of a stance on anything- Except maybe dancing and dressing crazy.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Furthering Anouck's response... if the military finds out you're gay, you get drummed out.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I Agree.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I believe that it was put in place to PROTECT homosexuals. People forget that it was a liberal democrat (Bill Clinton) who signed it into law.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• In short, if this applies to gays than it should apply to heterosexuals as well- let's just make everyone Asexual. Your sexuality is a part of who you are, and it is ALWAYS the fault of someone who is offended by it, for choosing to be. The focus needs to be on education of heterosexual communities, not on making gays hide behind a shroud.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If DADT is lifted, further problems are going to happen. Now is NOT the time to life this policy. We are in a time of war, and everyone needs to be focused on that.. Not some trivial little freakin policy!! How about worrying when these wars will be over so Americans can stop dying overseas?!

Before DADT can be lifted, everyone currently enlisted is going to need to be given the option to terminate their contracts if they feel they are not comfortable with the DADT policy being lifted. Separate barracks are going to need to be built for gay soldiers to be housed in. Numerous regulations are going to need to be changed and altered. This is NOT something that can happen overnight like people think.. It takes time AND research which is what the leaders of each branch are trying to do right now.

AND LADY GAGA IS A FREAKIN JOKE.. She belongs in a CIRCUS (That's a little side note)
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• No, it's much deeper than that, anouck..... Example: There may be a need for seperate quarters because of troop morale.  A woman doesn't want a random man in the showers with her, right?  So why is it wrong that a straight man may not want a gay man in the showers with him.  So, who is going to pay for this transition of quaters?  Then add to it, marriage. How can the military accept gays who were married in CA if they are restationed in Ohio?  Or can dating couples move into housing on base?  If they can't~ will they say 'discrimination'? But straight nonmarried couples can't live on base/shop on base/etc...  Much more needs to be figured out..  It's more than the foo fooey emotion aspect. Try to gain perspective.  There's logistics/parameters/etc that need to be figured out.  Who is going to pay for the staff to figure it out?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010