How early do you think my girls would enjoy dance lessons?

How early of an age do you think kids can actually reap something from a dance class and enjoy it?

Both of my girls LOVE music and LOVE dancing, so I think they would have a lot of fun in a hip-hop or jazz class. The older one is 3-1/2, the younger one is 1-1/2. How young do classes usually start and do you think they'd enjoy it more now, or when they're older? I really only want them to do it if they'd have fun.

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 3:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I started dance class at age 4.. I really enjoyed it too as i was already dancing to the music at home.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 3:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I've seen classes starting at 2, 2 1/2, and 3. I think you could try it with your older one and see how it goes. If she isn't ready, just stop for a while and try again when she's older.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• The 3 year old is definitely old enough. The younger might enjoy a mommy and me class.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• my friend has her 28 month old in dance and she loves it
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My daughter started ballet at 2 and really enjoyed it, she's 5 now and loves it. I've asked if she wanted to try any other kind of dance, but she just loves ballet. When she was 2, the class was more fun time than really dancing. I think classes are generally for 2 and up, but you never know, check around, you might find something for the little one too.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I think I will look into a class for the 3yo, and maybe get the younger one started in December when she turns 2! :)
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• In my state or at least town my friend started her daughter at 2 yrs old. But my other friend started off doing gymboree first then went into doing dance that was with her youngest she was 1yrs old when she started at the gymboree. I don't think it is to early for your 3 1/2 yr old she will have fun. If I had a lil girl I would put her in dance I used to dance when I was young. Good luck mama let us know how it goes.
    cmjarvis

Answer by cmjarvis at 4:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Mine started around 3 and loved it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:24 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My daughter is almost 3 and she has been asking to take dance classes. All of the places near us want the kids to be at least 3 before they start. I think your 3 1/2 yr old would have a lot of fun with it and is definitely old enough to start.
    Justbeachy33

Answer by Justbeachy33 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2010