When can a kid play with real tools?

Like screwdrivers and stuff?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I suppose when they are old enough to handle them correctly and be taught the correct use.  That could be different for each kid.

When I was like 10 and my brother was 8 my dad got us this woodworking kit that had real wood and tools including a saw.  We had a blast building stuff with it and neither of us ever got hurt.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I dont think a kid should "play" with tools. If you are putting something together and they want to help then they can help and use the tools but they are not toys.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• When they are ready to build something you can sell!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I had a tiny set of REAL tools at age 3. I helped my dad when he was working. I was given scraps to "fix".
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Uh, I think never as long as they are kids. Tools are for big kids.
    peacockmom

Answer by peacockmom at 3:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• When they are old enough to be taught that they cannot "play" with real tools, that real tools are not toys, old enough and have enough manual dexterity and muscle control to safely and adequately handle real tools, and able to understand all of the rules surrounding safe use under adult supervision.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 7:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i don't like my almost 3 yr old using them but my husband likes it. i'm afraid he's going to fall and hurt himself . he hasn't yet and hopefully he won't.
    cferra423

Answer by cferra423 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• my son is three and he loves helping his daddy out but uses fake tools like from handy mandy and hubby uses real lol but i dont think he should use them till his way older like 8 and up
    twimommy

Answer by twimommy at 5:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2010