America ----- FREE

I cannot believe this but I have met a few foreign immigrants that actually think that America is FREE.
They think that things should be free and that they should not have to pay.
It sounds too crazy to be true.
I was blown away.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 3:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ironically there are people right here on cafemom that think everthing should be free. Honestly, I'm not surprised illegals would think this. I tend to be a little more old fashioned about it..if you don't work you don't eat....of course this method only worked for tens of thousands of years...no reason to think it really works or anything.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Actually for those who are here illegally, and figure out how to obtain free government subsidies and housing, and somehow live "under the radar" it IS literally a "free country!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well, that's a new take on "America the free"
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It is free for some people. I know more than one person who live off the government and dont have to pay or work for ANYTHING they have. It certainly isnt free for me and my family. We're middle class so we get stuck paying for everything for ourselves AND the system abusers. It sickens me.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Homeless people, people without health insurance, unemployment benefits are a joke, only 2 weeks of vacation a year, no paid maternity leave, it was like a Third World Country to me... Still kind of is, to be honest.
    HUD (for "homeless people") food stamps (for people that can't feed their children) you have to EARN unemployment and 99 weeks of unemployment to TOO MUCH already, your vacation time depends on your job (the military gives 30 days a year) why should tax payers have to fund your maternity leave? Some jobs offer paid maternity leave, If you don't like the US, you know what you can do... :) Basically, it is not the American taxpayers job to make sure that you live a good life, it is your job. Go to college get a good job get everything you want for yourself or marry a good man/woman and stay at home with your children. I will not address the health insurance thing again.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Can't see anyone getting in and becoming a legal resident the correct way and still thinking that. Those much be your illegal aquaintances
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Of course, "free" is relative. Taxes where I'm from are definitely higher, but I believe it's worth it for the peace of mind. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me and call me a socialist/marxist/communist/word of the week, though.

All I can say is, for a supposedly prosperous country, the quality of life people have here on average is really not all that impressive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would rather have the things that I have, and we live very modeslty, and feel the pride of providing it for ourselves, then leech off of the government and have everything. I guess its just a pride in ourselves sort of thing.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 5:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• English and its multimeaning words. Free and in - to choose, to travel, where to live, job to have. Not free as in - you don't have to pay. We really need to work on getting more words in the vocabulary so each word has one distinct meaning.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Think about it, America is free for alot of people. It is just too bad America gives everything away to people who are usually to lazy to help themselves and when people who are really in need reach out for help, it is not there.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 4:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

I especially find humor in the ones who say, after they accepting government subsidies (knowing is illegal to partake in) that the system took advantage of THEM.....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2010