If I'm not allergic to cats & pregnant...

...and baby inside might be allergic, would I be showing allergy symptoms? I just fixed my outside kitty (many of you may know already) :) and she's inside and I'm sneezing and my eyes itch a little... I never have these symptoms around cats. Think it's possible? Just curious.

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• never heard of a fetus being allergic to anything... they don't breathe in the dander of a cat which is what triggers the allergic reaction
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• sweetie an allergy or intolerance can develop at any point in life...you can go 30 years loving chocolate and then suddenly become allergic to it and vice versa you can have an allergy or intolerance and then grow out of it
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• no but you might just be a bit more sensitive since you are pregnant! I have had cats all my life, and while I was in utero. I've always had a bit of sensitivity to cat dander, but I'm not allergic. Make sure you vacuum more and it's a plus if yuor vacuum has a hepa filter. if not, you can buy the big hepa filters for your air vent, not very expensive. Also try out those cat fur brushes for furniture and the cat herself. Since the hot weather is almost behind us, the cat fur is probably shedding a bit more so there is more cat dander floating around!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• No, not possible. You're probably just more sensitive because you're pregnant.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with the other posters - your sinuses are probably more sensitive. Maybe ask your doctor if you can take a low dose of an allergy medication, like Benadryl? In small amounts it is safe during pregnancy.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 5:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have never heard of a baby having an allergic reaction while in the womb, lol. It might be that you are pregnant and your body is changing and now your sinuses are more sensitive.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't think that means your child is allergic, but pregnancy can definitely trigger allergies, and like aliishott2 said, you can develop new allergies at any point in life... However, I'm wondering if you actually DID have an allergy already, but never really noticed it because your cat is mostly outdoors, and it's just being triggered because the cat is indoors now.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Make sure your not the one cleaning the litter box.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 5:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My allergies have changed also i have never been allergic to dogs and now I am...My ob told me this was normal with pregnancy
    lazo060109

Answer by lazo060109 at 11:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My allergies changed completely while pregnant. I became much more allergic to my cats then. I actually got asthma for the first time while pregnant.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2010