How about when someone asks how much you paid for your house? Is that rude?

How do you answer that? If you do not want to tell.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't see it as a big deal. Especially if the person likes my house and is just wondering what it would take to get one like it! You can simply answer as oh, we got a good deal on it. And leave it at that if you choose to do so.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't think it's rude but i can understand that some people might consider that private.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't think it's meant as a rude question, but I will admit that the question bothers me a little. Mostly because people choose homes based on their income/budget so it's almost like asking how much money you make.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't really see an issue with it. It's public information anyway. Anyone can look it up.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think it is a private matter. Some people tell how much everything costs adn are very open about finances. I dont know how you avoid the question though.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's a matter of public record. www.zillow.com tells you how much a house was bought for, how the value has change over the past 10 years, square footage, etc. It's not private.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's considered to be a rude question, yes - not because the information is "private", but rather because money is largely a taboo subject.
    If you do not want to tell, then simply say "I don't discuss financial matters". If you'd rather, you could simply give a range - "in the mid $200,000's".
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• That would be under the category NOYDB - "none of your damn business."
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's considered rude, but it never bothered me. You could say something like "all the homes in this development are in the 200K-300K range". All real esate transactions are public record if they really want to find out.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I always find money questions rude and usually answer with - Plenty!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010