Gunea Pigs And Children

Do they mix well? I have a 3 year old and a 16 month old and I have always wanted a Gunea Pig. I was thinking about getting one. Should I wait or get one sometime in the very near future?

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 3:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Pets

• We had multiple guinea pigs for our 2 year old son, and they were a lot of work on OUR part. The cage needs to be cleaned once a week, or more. They require A LOT of handling, and do better in pairs.. So you would have to get at least two. We had three over a 8 month span, and they all died. I gave up on buying anymore. Not worth the time and effort in my opinion for smaller children.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'd say that they are too young, and pets that small are better saved for when children are older
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have two.My kids are similar in age. I love them myself, but here's a few things.

They are better off with a cage mate, they are colonial creatures.

I clean the cage, and I have to do it every day, or they stink....they pee a lot
    The little stinks like to kick their shavings and hay on the floor so I have to clean that up everyday too.

My kids don't play with them as much as I thought they would.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• But I play with them! My 4yo however is in charge of watering them. I do the rest.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree, they're a lot of work, and they do better in pairs... Having said that, I think your children are too young for a guinea pig. They're pretty fragile, and I know of several kids who have accidentally "hugged" them to death. Pretty traumatic.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think if YOU want the guinea pig, it will work out fine. The kids will be too young to give proper care and attention to a guinea pig. We have two guinea pigs, and they are very nice with the kids (the kids are 8,6, and 3.) The three year old can pat them with supervision. They are very gentle and affectionate with the kids, I've found that they are great pets for kids. Now just some advice as a pig owner: guinea pigs will be much happier in a pair than solo. They are social animals. They are also a lot more fun when they have a friend, as watching the interaction between the pigs is very entertaining. They need a decent size cage- bigger is better. They have dietary needs- guinea pigs don't make their own vitamin C and so need it supplemented in their diet. They need a good guinea pig pellet as a base, free access to hay, and fresh greens/fruits daily.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Con't. We give our pigs daily floor time in a confined space where they can run around and play. We top up the hay in the morning and give treats in the evenings (the pigs know this and squeak for food at the appropriate times, or whenever else they think we might decide to bestow a treat upon them!) I spot clean the cage daily (taking out the wetter bedding) and scrub the whole thing down with vinegar once a week. They're not low maintenance- but because I really like them too I am more than willing to put in the work for them! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions... I love my pigs, I think we will have them as pets for a long time!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have a 3 yr old male guinea pig named Elvis. He is great with my kids (they are older). If they are handled daily, they make great pets for children of all ages. If they are not handled, they can be prone to screaming or biting when picked up or touched.

I obtained Elvis from a shelter. He did not recieve the best care and was fearful and a biter when I got him a year ago. I brought him home because he was not able to find home due to his biting. He is a happy healthy loveable piggie now. He does not have a cagemate, but he does play with my cats when he is in his playpen. The cats like to groom him and he likes to sniff and nudge the cats. Its not the same as having a cagemate, but it works for us.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Your kids are too young for that type of pet. I would steer you toward a dog that can tolerate and thrive with young children.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have 8 and will probably have 11 pigs soon (grrrr) because a female got pregnant accidentally. Anyway, they are not low maintenance, forget about them type animals. They need to be fed, watered, held, cage cleaned out, floor time, etc. They also need companions. They are very fragile. With that small of kids, you run the risk of a pig getting dropped or stepped on. It took a while for me to trust my younger two to hold the pigs and that is only with adult supervision. They do bite if they are scared. A fish would probably be better.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010