Do I Change My Diet to Breastfeed?

We are expecting a baby in Nov. and I plan to breastfeed. I'm trying to get as much information as I can, as this will be my first time breastfeeding. Are there things that I will need to cut out or add to my diet to make sure our baby is getting adequate nutrition and calories or will my body "just know" what the baby needs? I'm clueless when it comes to breastfeeding...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You eat healthy and baby will get what it needs. However, if you notice baby fussy or gassy, then, you may need to change to keep baby on track.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Make sure you eat lots of fruits and veggies and get enough protein and iron. What I did was basically cut out junk foods and drank LOTS of water. If you're eating a properly balanced diet, your baby should get everything he or she needs. Once you start nursing and get a schedule down, your body will adjust and will know when and how much milk to produce. If your hospital or midwife offers lactation counseling, take advantage of it. They can help immensely when it comes to diet and latch issues.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• no just eat healthy fruits and veggies.now if your child is allergic to milk or some foods you eat make him gassy the yes. some moms have to give up dairy or certain foods. some babies have no problem with their mom's diet
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• with some circumstances..yes
    bingbong

Answer by bingbong at 4:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Your body will make perfect baby food for your baby even if you are eating dirt.
    I hope you are eating healthy now, so you will continue to do that. Drink a lot of water too!

Enjoy!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• our doc has told me just watch for gassy food decause it will make ur baby gassy too. i pretty much eat like u eat when ur pregnant, u kno try to keep pretty heathy. i nursed all 3 of my children not sayin i can't learn anything new or i'm an expert or anything. i do try to stay away from gassy food though. i wish u luck.
    ps i don't kno if anybody told u it is a little painful at first but only in the begin. it is soooo worth the bond u will make with ur baby!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats!!!
    cferra423

Answer by cferra423 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Eat/drink normally. If you notice baby reacting to something specific, remove it from your diet.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i havent changed my diet at all for my baby. i eat all organic and natural foods though. be sure your not eating mcdonalds ant what not, your baby needs nutrition!!
    hotmommy420

Answer by hotmommy420 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• be sure your not eating mcdonalds ant what not, your baby needs nutrition!!

Actually, mom theoretically COULD eat McD's and junk, even a diet consisting SOLEY of crap, and her milk would still be perfect. MOM'S health would likely suffer, as you body takes what it needs for BABY to make the perfect milk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Just eat healthy and check with your doctor before taking any medications because they will be passed to your baby. Now and then some babies will be effected if you eat gassy foods (the baby will get gassy) or if you eat onions or spicy stuff they might be able to taste it and refuse to nurse...that never happened for me but I know it can happen....GOOD LUCK!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2010