my 8 n half mon old has 2 bottom teeth and he is starting to hurt me when he nurses. is there something i can do so it wont hurt

cferra423

Asked by cferra423 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• His teeth should be involved when he nurses right. If he bites, tell him no and put him down for a bit. Do it everytime for a little longer and he will learn.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• start him on solid food and wean him. the antibodies in breast milk protect you baby only for the first 6 months and after that nursing is not necessary and after that point it's not the healthiest choice for your child anymore, fruits and veggies are
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Real quick, the anonymous poster is not well informed on nursing. Just so you know. Breastmilk is always helpful and always contains antibodies regardless of age. Many women will nurse exclusively for the first full year of life, but I'm sure you knew that anyway.

As to your question, bottom teeth should not be making contact with your breast at all. Baby's tongue should be the only thing he uses on the bottom. If he starts biting, put him off and do not continue to nurse him until the next time he is scheduled to eat. Anytime baby bites, just pull them off and eventually, he should stop. Some Moms will yelp or cry out when the baby bites and that can help too.

Good Luck! It's tough when they start biting. My dude doesn't bite my breasts, but he'll bite at my shirts and get skin pretty often, I'm trying to figure out how to get him to stop THAT! :)
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 4:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I made a mistake...the teeth should NOT be involved in breastfeeding if he is doing it right.

And ANON has no clue what she is talking about.

Just because you nurse even for 5 years doesn't mean your kid never eats real food. And BM doesn't Magically stop being nutritious at 6 months. And it IS the healthiest food for anyone. You should nurse only for a year anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• thank u 4 the answers!! i nursed all the boys, i nurse my oldest till he was 16 months, my second till he was 14 months. i never had this problem with them. so don't kno what to do... my baby wants nothing to do with baby food.
    cferra423

Comment by cferra423 (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Would you like some links to websites with info?

You can breastfeed ONLY for as long as it takes until baby wants to eat other foods.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i will continue to nurse till he starts eating table food ( which i kno he wont be doing that 4 a long time). i will just deal with the pain if he continues to hurt me. @BradenisMySon yes i would like some links. i just got a laptop so being on a computer is new to me:) so thanks:)
    cferra423

Comment by cferra423 (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010