What do you think about sports teams having to change their names? WHETHER YOURE SPORTS FAN OR NOT...

Like the Redskins.

"A petition was filed today with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in Washington by six American Indians, contending that the Washington Redskins' name is racist and that the team should lose its trademark. The Associated Press says that the patent office's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board backed a similar petition filed in 1992. That decision, however, was overturned on appeal."

It was appealed, but what do you think about that?
A sports team having to change their name, do you think its racist or just a classic sports name???

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 4:14 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's silly... it's a name.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 4:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i'm torn. i can totally see how it could be considered offensive to some. but why didn't they complain back when the team first decided on their name? i dunno...
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 4:17 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Well, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays dropped the "devil" from their name and are going to the World Series.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:13 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• It is just something for some people to complain about. The Washington Redskins have been around for 76 seasons, even though I can't stand them..haha They have had that name for longer than I have been alive and I don't see anything wrong with it. I went to school where we were the warriors and had an indian head as our symbol. However, people just need to get off their soap boxes and get over being "politically correct" and just deal with it.

It is just like people saying we should change our currency because it says "In God We Trust" And the College of William and Mary down in Williamsburg Va. have people saying they should change their name and symbol because of the indian feathers.

It is a never ending senario in my opinion. As long as people can file suits and get publicity we will never see the end of it.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 6:59 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i think this has less to do with being politically correct and more to do with being deeply offended on a personal level.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2008