daycare or no daycare?

i need to get money for college tuition, hubby is against school loans and my online affiliate marketing venture will take a long time to pick up. i thought about going to an upcoming career fair for post (we live overseas,army) and getting a regular job and putting her in daycare,but ive always been strong on my beliefs of being at home with her.she is 3 years old.i feel strongly i need to finish college as well.im torn.my heart says nooo stay home, keep with the plan of no work until she is in regular school, but i need tuition money come november or i have to quit school and im a 4.0 student,im really good at it and could have a good career one day.im torn. btw the daycare here is "ok"so i hear,the price is ehhh,its based off of my husbands rank(he is upper nco)

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my DS started at 12 weeks when I went back to work, we didn't have a choice
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Day care is fine. The first three years are the most important in terms of being at home with her. (I think there was a British study on this.) Now that she is three, by all mean finish school so that you can have a career in the future. I think it's the best thing for both of you, plus you'll be setting a good example for her.

Side story: I was in daycare from 6mos. old and turned out just fine. My parents did what they had to do to put food on the table and make sure I got great education, I don't know when I'll stop thanking them for all their hard work!
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 4:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Can u go to school at night and get a friend to watch your child. I don't like the daycare thing eiter I used to work in a daycare and I will never put my son in one unless I need to and their is no other option. I would go with your heart my mother always told me to go with my heart your heart will never stair u in the wrong dirction. Good luck mama.
    cmjarvis

Answer by cmjarvis at 4:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• The longer you stay out of the workforce the harder it will be to get back in.

High quality child care benefits children and families. Visit the place you're thinking about to see if it will work for you guys. Being comfortable with your child care will make it a much easier decision.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Personally, if it were me, I would simply put school off til she is in regular school. She's 3, that means you have just 2 years left to wait. I would never in my life put my kids in a daycare, I worked for one... Never in my life would I put my child through if I had another option. Your option seems, at face value, to be a negative one, but really... it's not. Lots of people take a year or two off because of children or other things... And you may even find that they have SOME of the classes you need available from home and at a cheaper rate. My mother took nearly 8 years to get through her 3 year program - now, it wasn't because of kids, but the example is the same. She simply took one class at a time. You could easily take one class here and there until she starts school, then get a job to pay for tuition and finish... Keep her out of daycare AND finish your schooling... Just take a little longer to do it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• At 3 it is a good age. I am a SAHM right now. But mine are 2 and 1. I will not send mine to daycare, only because breaking even financially to send 2 children doesn't make sense. But if you want to go to school and finish, now is the time. Then when she starts kindergarten you can go to work. Just my opinion! If it doesn't work out, a semester is only a few months long. 3 is a nice age for a lot of reasons, especially the social aspect. As well as if the day care is structured and has daily lesson plans, art activities, play time, etc. I should mention I do take my babies to the YMCA 4x a week for about an hour and a half while I work out and have ME time....they go to the child watch that is offered. It's not a learning atmosphere, but they do play with other under school age children. Then once a week we go to a play group for an hour and a half. I feel social interaction is very important.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You also have the option of working from home. There are lots of companies out there that hire home based employees. I would say take some time and see if you can find one of those options that fits you.

here is a listing of some of those companies... Good Luck!
    http://sabrinascloset.yolasite.com/work-at-home-jobs.php

BTW, these are NOT businesses, franchises or affiliate programs - they are jobs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• The first three years are the most important in terms of brain development. Children cared for by parents in the home do not have higher levels of brain development than those being cared for by nonparents outside of the home.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i should clear up cause i noticed this. i dont need the daycare cause of taking classes during the day. i do online college, i need to make money to pay for tuition. following my heart....i would stay home with her until she is in regular school and use school loans with hopefully occasional scholarships to help (being that i have a 4.0 i would really think i can get at least a couple hundred dollars in scholarships from time to time) the only reason i don't do that...my husband flat out said no to loans. i will not do something that he is totally against, even if i dont agree with him on it.
    moki1984

Comment by moki1984 (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Perhaps since he says no loans you could rearrange your expenses so that there is money for school. What rank is he?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010