My 3 year old has not been listening to me at all what can I do to get his attention?

I have tried everything he just wont listen to nothing I say like jumping on the bed,running around the house being loud going outside when i tell him not to ect. What can I do?

jessesmama22

Asked by jessesmama22 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sorry to hear about this.
    Not much.
    This is part of Toddlerhood.
    He will get better.
    Give him positive renforcement and you will be fine.
    Much luck your way.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You let me know if someone gives you the answer! Please!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Sounds like he needs to be entertained...

Remember, developmentally, 4 year olds brains are built for exploring and experiencing, not for listening & following instructions :)
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Try and he his attention by making him stop what he is doing and look at you while you talk to him. Eye contact will make him focus on you and what you are saying and hopefully he will take you seriously.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 4:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• These are pretty normal actions for a 3 year old. I handled these things but allowing him to jump on the bed or jump on the couch, I simply made it safe for him to do so, he was really to little to hurt anything, plus its just furniture.
    The running around house I turned into a game, hide and seek, or I'd change the focus to play an imaginary game like killing monsters or hunting for dragons, I'd tie a blanket to make it like a cape and we would run around the house together playing out stories. Being loud outside - totally normal, I worked on inside voices when in the house, but outside anything goes as long as he wasn't hurting or annoying some else.
    My kids are normal and well adjusted, I never saw this as running amuck as long as I was protecting and being involved. My kids are 16 and 12 and simply wonderful. As far as not listening try eye contact, don't sweat the small stuff much bigger issues are yet to come.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010