Do you agree with spanking your child if they do something wrong?

jessesmama22

Asked by jessesmama22 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i've slapped on the hands a few times... but it just makes things worse..
    bingbong

Answer by bingbong at 4:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would never use violence or threat of violence to control my childs behavior.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• no
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Oh boy, this is always a hot button topic.

I do spank - but only after I have given fair warning, after timeouts have been given, privileges taken away, etc. If my kids are going to be disrespectful on top of everything else, and they have been warned, they get spanked. I do not see it as child abuse the way some people do. I'm not using it to vent my anger...it is a disciplinary step in my chain. And frankly, it's effective. Quote all the "studies" at me that you want, but it makes my children think twice and they know they have plenty of time to change their attitude and avoid that step.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• No, I have no intention of raising my child with fear and physical intimidation.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't think it really works. I don't agree or disagree. I just don't think it's very effective.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• IMO, it teaches them that it's okay to hit others. It really doesn't work, just incites fear in them.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I spanked my son one time...I was stressed, he was pushing my buttons and finally after being naughty and ignoring my pleas I couldnt take it anymore and spanked him, then sent him to his room. He was upset about the room timeout more than anything. I was upset about the spanking. The saying "it hurt me more than it hurt you" is so freakin true! I apologized, gave him a huge hug and kiss and promised never to touch him ever again. I have learned since then to just leave the room to breathe. I will never use physical discipline ever again.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I was spanked as a kid, and i spank my son when he needs it...i give warnings, and if he doesn't listen to it, he gets a tap...it's not about beating your child or taking your anger out on them... It truely does make them think twice about things...
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2010