Is it harder to relate to other moms or women without children?

In your opinion...If you had to pick one....Is it harder to relate to women without children because they don't have children?? Or is it harder to relate to other moms because you have different views on parenting??

My opinion harder to relate to other moms...

itsme0221

Asked by itsme0221 at 4:40 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Relationships

• Yes to all of them.Mothers without children don't know squat about being a mother and they are often rude and critical from their jealousies of not having a child themselves,when they critique you on parenting.And it's been said,mothers are harder on mothers because they are in competition with eachother.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 5:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I myself think that it depends on who it is. Like my sister couldn't have children, but I kinda shared my kids with her, she knows what it is like to have kids, other moms who have to compete I have found harder to talk to or relate with. Some moms are all about their kids having the BEST of everything! Other moms are down to earth and don't feel the need to compete. So, it would depend on the person. Then there are some women who can't have children and they don't know nothing at all about raising kids or what it is all about.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 7:48 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• When I deal with people without kids I tend to talk less about the details of child-rearing...but with other moms the various topics come up constantly. I think it can be a lot harder to deal with other moms because sometimes they think they have it all figured out just because they might not have the same exact problems you might have. One mom I know has a habit of saying "My kids would never do that!" if you try to talk about an issue you might be having....so needless to say I now avoid talking to her about my problems with my kids! That is not an empathic response at all, now is it? If her kids didn't do that, they obviously did other things that my kids didn't do, but that wasn't the point of the conversation now was it? Of course it all depends on the person..the individual....whether they have kids or don't have kids!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:45 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• It is harder for me to relate to women who do not have children.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 9:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Right now being pregnant, it's harder to relate to other moms because my baby isn't here yet. I can only discuss the pregnancy portion of motherhood...and most of the people I talk to haven't had kids in at least two years, so they've pretty much forgotten about their pregnancies. My friends are fascinated with me being pregnant, I'm the first one in my "social circle" to have a baby, so I'm setting the standard for what they'll have to go through later lmao. I'm not sure if it'll change or not after my daughter is born, maybe, maybe not...
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I feel as though it is much harder to relate to women who do not have any children.. They may go on about how they always watch their neice, cousin, brother whatever.. But it is not the same and us mothers know that. On the other hand it may be difficult to relate to other mothers who have different views on things but they will always share the relation of knowing what it is like to be a mother and the things we have to go through..
    MsViv

Answer by MsViv at 11:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I think it's harder for women without children to relate especially in the work place when dealing with issues like having to be out of work because of sick children. They just don't get it. At least other moms know what the struggles are like even if they aren't the same. Or if they haven't experienced it yet, I know they will (and then I'm able to give them the "knowing smile" when they do).
    udinkel

Answer by udinkel at 1:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2008