Did you think that everyone could have survived the Titanic had the ship simply stopped sailing?

"The Titanic hit an iceberg in 1912 because of a basic steering error, and only sank as fast as it did because an official persuaded the captain to continue sailing, an author said in an interview published on Wednesday." The author is a granddaughter of one of the crewsmen. They actually had a meeting after they hit the iceburg in which the steering mistake was discussed.

"If Titanic had stood still, she would have survived at least until the rescue ship came and no one need have died," Patten said

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 4:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The steering error was that the rudder was too small for the ship to turn as expected. If they would have stopped, they would have still drifted into the burg. Now if they would have stopped when they got the initial warning, that's another story.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Perhaps it would have taken in less water but the nearest ship was still 4 hrs away. Either way maybe less people would have perished.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It might not have mattered at all. They loaded the rafts only 1/2 full.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well, we can what if all we want to. What if it had hit the iceberg straight on?

I think there could have been a better success if they had slowed down yes, but there would still have been casualties for the simple fact that not only were the life boats launched half full, but there also weren't enough life boats for the number of people on board.

From: http://www.historyonthenet.com/Titanic/lifeboats.htm:

Titanic carried 20 lifeboats, enough for 1178 people. The existing Board of Trade required a passenger ship to provide lifeboat capacity for 1060 people. Titanic's lifeboats were situated on the top deck. The boat was designed to carry 32 lifeboats but this number was reduced to 20 because it was felt that the deck would be too cluttered.
    Number of people on the Titanic: http://www.titanic-facts.com/passengers-on-the-titanic.html: 2228 people including passenger and crew. (to be continued)
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Even if each lifeboat had been filled to capacity, 1,050 people still would have perished, which isn't much of a decrease from the 1500+ that did.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yes but Thatgirl... this new evidence is stating that the information previously given was a cover up. If they had simply stopped sailing after hitting the iceburg, another ship could have had time to save them.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think it is all speculation at this point. It is so easy to point blame, but we can't change the outcome at this point. I don't know enough about sailing vs dead in the water to make a decision.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I didn't know that. I do know that a lot of seats went empty on those lifeboats. They started loading the "first class" passengers first. There was no reason so many people should have died.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm not surprised there was a cover up. The White Star Line was tarnished after the sinking and I'm sure they wanted to do everything possible to keep the scandal as low as possible. There were also rumors that there were other ships that were closer than the Carpathia, but that they ignored the distress signals.

But these are things that we will never 100% know.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• BTW I love this subject. I wish I had my 4 set Titanic documentary on DVD instead of VHS. I'd be watching it right now. :)
    thatgirl70