Do you think a person's beliefs or lack there of should matter when they are running for a political office?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 4:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If it effects their decisions on things it shouldn't; then yes. Like abortion, gay marriage and such. That's not really anyone's business except that person's.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 5:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• only if it affects what they plan on doing while in office. there is a senator running here that wants to take away a womans right to take any form of hormonal birth control or have an abortion for any reason because of his religious beliefs. i do not agree with that.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• No, but I think they should have had a military career. Not like a full on military career, but several years worth. Time served in the military should be a must IMHO <3
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It shouldn't make a difference, as long as that person can keep his religious views separate from his job.... However, I don't know if that's possible, which is why I would NEVER vote for somebody who claims to be a devoutly religious person. Because I KNOW that person would try to oppose gay rights, and a woman's right to choose, among other things. Personally, I think somebody running for any kind of public office shouldn't even mention his religious beliefs, or lack thereof. Because it really shouldn't matter.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Do you mean religious beliefs? Because I believe that chocolate ice cream is good while others don't.

Religion should be kept out of politics, but it would give that person less of a chance to become elected. That's why so many politicians push to let everyone know what they believe. I'd like to see an agnostic president for a change
    shirleyforsurly

Answer by shirleyforsurly at 5:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I really agree with what Raine2001 had to say....
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 5:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Nope. Just as I don't necessarily need to take into account the personal choices (legal ones, that is) someone made 10, 15, etc years ago.. I don't care what they dabbled in.. Hell, I don't care if they have took federal funds for a business 10 years ago, but have learned the error of their ways and ADMIT it.... ;o) The key is that they are honest and open about their business/political life.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

Running for President, I agree..  I would prefer military time in vs (for example) working in academia...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Everyone has beliefs. The belief that there is no higher being is a belief. So, I think the more acurate question is: Do you think the way a person believes ................ Then yes, I do. It gives an insight into what drives a person's value system and morals. You must have values and morals if we are going to break the cycle of corrupt elected officials. We have put too many in office without a care to where they get their moral compass and then whine and pine because they are corrupt. Vet them better as a voter.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• No not at all and I disagree with the military career background too. I feel a Presidents best attributes are in law, the constitution and core values. Religion does not make a person have morals (as we witness in the news daily) and a military background is irrelevant. We have generals to aide in the matters of war and/or peace making. A president with a military background imo tends to jump into wars quicker than one who's head leads with more social and economic issues.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2010