BREASTFEEDING

AS A MOTHER WHO EXCLUSIVELY BREASTFEEDS MY SON, AND IS DEALING WITH ALL THE NEW FACTORS OF BREASTFEEDING I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR EVERYONE OPINIONS ON IT WHY IS IT SO TABOO NOW WHEN WOMEN HAVE DONE IT FOR YEARS AND WHAT ABOUT BREASTFEEDING IN PUBLIC?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Because formula companies have people brainwashed.

I'm more offended by public stupidity than by breastfeeding.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:10 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• People are stupid, I think it's probably more acceptable for a man to pull out his dick in public than for a woman to feed her child. It's bullshit that we have to hide and do it because people will be offended. Just because we're b/f doesn't mean we should have to confine ourselves to the house for however long we're b/f. In my old town they have "Expectant mothers" parking places EVERYWHERE And breastfeeding rooms in almost all of the big stores. I think it should be like that everywhere.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:11 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Because USA/Uk one of the only countries that has sexualized breasts. This causes conflict between their actual function and the sexual function we have made for them.

I breastfeed in public. No one has ever approached me. To begin with I would go to a little room in that most stores in England have for breastfeeding and baby because I was not confident in my breastfeeding as a first time mother. As I got more confident and used to breastfeeding I dont care what people think....I will do it wherever. I dont have any of these discreet breastfeeding tops either (but would love them for winter so I dont get cold!!) but you can barely see my breast if you were to look. Just dont look if it offends you....I dont understand why it does though.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:50 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• None of my family have a problem with me just doing it in front of them either or my friends. Its just me being a mother. At first of course I thought it was weird in front of my friends..but its so natural I didnt really care.
    keyaziz

• It has less to do with formula companies, and more to do with Western ideas of womens bodies...

Somewhere along the line, in our culture, womens bodies became sex objects...and somewhere along the line, sex became something dirty and corrupting...

Therefore, little baby doing what little baby should do is somehow offensive becuase it turns something that should be hidden from public view (according to our societies effed up views of sex and sexuality (ZOMG, BOOBS!)) into something natural...and far be it from bodies to be allowed to be natural in this society (just look at a Cosmo cover).
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:01 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Because some people (men and women) think that breasts should be used for sexual pleasure not, feeding a baby. My hubby and his friend were talking about this a few months ago. They were both questioning why women don't breastfeed. And some people actually think it is gross to breastfeed anywhere, even at home.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:12 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I b/f were ever I want and were I live is very conservitive. I say kiss my tookis my baby is hungry if you have a problem dont look.
    On the other hand alot of people congragulate me b/c it is really rare around here, most most walk around the shopping malls and stores with a bottle in the babis mouth not even holding the baby
    gavrilmom

Answer by gavrilmom at 11:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i agree with thalassa, i think a lot of it has to do with western thinking.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• By the time a breastfeeding mother's first baby is 2 weeks old she can easily feed him or her in public with no one even noticing unless they are staring.
    A woman's breasts are simply the means of supplying the best food for her baby in the best form--liquid. I don't know why western society has so sexualized women's breasts that the best way of providing nourishment to a child is now considered by many to be disgusting or even worse, something to be hidden and leered at.
    Anonymous

• I had no problem breastfeeding my babies in public. If someone thought it was inappropriate, I ignored them. It is all about my kids not them.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2008