At what age is it safe to add rice cereal to the bottle?

My son is 2 months old, and he's a big guy- he was 10.2 at birth, now weighing in around 13lbs. He eats about 7oz every 2-3 hours(!!!) which the pediatrician says is fine, considering he is producing lots of wet/dirty diapers. But I feel like he should be sleeping more considering his diet. He rarely naps during the day - and at night, he'll sleep 4-5 hours, then after that, he's up every 2-3 hours again for the rest of the night.
Someone told me adding rice cereal to the bottle helps them sleep/fill up their bellies a little bit. Any advice? I feel like he's sleeping less now than he did 3 weeks ago. I'm exhausted, and worried because I go back to work in 2 weeks :(

JacksMom0808

Asked by JacksMom0808 at 5:11 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NEVER, unless directed for reflux.

Rice cereal doesn't help babies sleep. They're not designed to sleep more than yours is. Go with it. He'll stretch out his sleeping soon enough. You sleep when he sleeps...leave the housework undone.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:21 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Thanks for the quick response! I'm wondering if maybe his formula is too thin - he's on Enfamil Gentlease-- but he still gets gassy (the dr had us switch from Similac Advance because it was backing him up). I'd LOVE to sleep when he sleeps - but its almost impossible - he goes to bed between 7-8, and most nights we will now get to sleep by 930pm...but he doesn't nap well during the day. He takes 15-20 minute power naps. I feel bad for the little guy because he gets so cranky sometimes because he's overtired, but I don't know how to get him to nap...ah well. I guess you are right and he will work it out, I just wish I could help him along.
    JacksMom0808

Answer by JacksMom0808 at 5:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Hes too young for any kind of cereal.

If you think he doesnt get stuffed by the formula, just add a little more to it, to make it thicker. When he is around 4 months old you can start feeding him cereals - but with the spoon, not the bottle. :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• OH ..my...

My daughter had cereal when she was around 2-3 months old,

Some say Do it...Some day DONT,

But its your kid,

ask the doc like i did, before you start him on any solids,
    for allergen purposes,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 9:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I started my Daughter on Cereal at 2 1/2 months old. It didn't help her to sleep any longer but it did help her to go to the bathroom more regular. Here is something that will help your baby be less gassy.....It's called Baby Bliss Gripe Water and you can find it at Rite Aid. It's all natural and my Ped said it was safe to give. I gave it to her every 4 hours as directed for about 1 week then only gave it to her when she was fussy. It really helped. I could tell a big difference. This helped my little one sleep better because her tummy didn't hurt anymore. Try it and see if you don't see a difference.
    DreamComeTrue08

Answer by DreamComeTrue08 at 11:10 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Sleep patterns at that age have nothing to do with food. They are dictated by brain development. As your baby gets older, his serotonin levels will begin to stabilize and he'll develop better sleeping patterns. Adding rice cereal won't help one iota, and it may actually have a negtive impact on your little one's immature digestive system. Unless otherwise indicated (for example in the case of gerd), solids should not be introduced until at least 4 months.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:40 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• NEVER! You should never add cereal to a bottle. It is a choking hazard. If you feed your son cereal at all (which we don't because it's got no nutritional value except a bunch of iron that is not bioavailable and will just constipate your baby) you should wait until 6 months! That is the recommendation of the World Health Organization, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the US Department of Health and Human Services, UNICEF and many other well respected health organizations. NO SOLIDS UNTIL 6 MONTHS!

Please check out this article!

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Well, I put cereal in Gauge's bottle at 2 months. I put half a teaspoon for his 1st AM bottle and half for his night time bottle. It just sits heavier on his belly than formula. He was downing 8 ozs then spitting it up bc it was too much. My doctor told me it isnt recomended for babies under 4 months but that if he is taking it ok, then its fine. I know a lot of people who started cereal early and all their babies made it through. Get a med-fast drip nipple and make sure to pull the bottle away if milk starts running out of the corners of his mouth. Also, just get a multi grain- the kind with fruit will stop up the bottle.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 12:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2008