how in the world can iIkeep my 13 month old from getting into EVERYTHING

I hate keeping him in his playpen in the living room but if I don't he tries to climb up the entertainment center, get in the cabinets, chase the dog (which is cute) and just get into everything! He is very stubborn and dose not listen to me so idk what to do with him lol my little girl was always so good :P

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Like this: Picture LOL

We also had a play pen for use when our attention was focused elsewhere. We were also very vocal about what was off limit. It was to the point where my son used to go up to an offlimits item, point and say "No?" and I would say "No." and then he would go back to playing with toys.

SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 5:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We got a play yard for that very reason. My LO was shown that she wasn't allowed to scale the side of it from a very early age and it really kept her out of everything. We still use it occasionally and she is 2 and is allowed to run through the house now with out supervision. If she gets out of line it goes up immediately. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• lol sabrina that seems like a good idea sometimes haha
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• At that age you can start teaching some limits. You can use a 'room time' Where you put a baby gate up at the bedroom door and turn on music and allow him to play independently but safely. It teaches limits and independent play skills. You will have to work your time up. I dod 10 min then every few days added 10 min until we made it up to 30-40 min at a time. Usually while I was cooking dinner. Since it was a baby gate we could still sing and chat but I knew they were safe. WE also did a blanket time each day where he was asked to sit on a blanket before his nap and bed each day for 15-20 min and watch a show and look at books or play blocks but was not allowed to leave that area. This taught self control and boundaries. These times each day allowed me to get things done like cook dinner, clean dishes or fold a few towels while I knew he was in one place! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• he plays in his room too, i put up a baby gate and there is nothing he can get hurt on, but i know he wants to be a part of what dh, dd and i are doing too but i hate leaving him in the play pen i feel like i'm being mean
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2010