Temper tantrums...how to deal

Our two year old son is VERY strong willed and does not like to be told no. I have told him "no" several times, and he continues to disobey me. For example, I've told him SEVERAL TIMES not to jump on the couch. He jumps and jumps. I remove him from the situation or try to give him a time out...nothing works. When I try to take his hand, he falls to the ground (which he knows he can do because I cannot pick him up per my chiro's advice). I then have to resort to dragging him away from the situation. My husband told me I should approach it a different way. WHAT DO I DO?! He does have a speech delay, but I know he knows what I'm saying to him. He will also bang his head on items when he gets frustrated. He is on Keppra for seizures (which I've heard can cause behavioral problems), but his neurologist isn't concerned with the side affects (being he acts fine most of the time). Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell him what to do instead of what not to do....sometimes kids process language very slowly (especially if there is a speech delay) he may not know what he can do instead...so instead of saying No or stop jumping.....Say, sit down or Feet on the floor. And do not get into a power struggle with him..if he falls to the floor and kicks and screams, so be it....calmly say when you are done we can talk about it.....or if you would prefer to also assign a punishment...say when you are calm I will start the timer for 2 minutes, then we can go play.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I agree with telling him what you want him to do or what he can do instead of what behavior needs to stop. When all else fails (with my 2year old) i send him to his room until he is ready to calm down. When he comes out i try to find some thing positive that we can do together or that he enjoys doing.

kids are going to push whatever buttons they can and once they know what button to push it will be pushed over and over again.
    mylilredheadboy

Answer by mylilredheadboy at 9:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• instead of just saying no when he is jumping on the couch for example say no we don't jump on the couch but why don't you go get your ball or go get name a toy or lets go outside to jump if that doesn't work and he starts to pitch a fit he wants your attention immediatley turn your back to him and refuse to look or say anything to him until he stops the temper tantrum if that doesn't work walk out of the room to another room where you can still hear him when he stops enter the room and say are done now what a good boy you are for not continuing to act that way it worked with both my girls
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 11:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Hi all! I just noticed that I accidentally posted as "anonymous." I'm sometimes technologically challenged. :( But, thanks to all of you for your wonderful suggestions. I'm hoping these will help me out. :) As I say often: this, too, shall pass. I just hope the tantrums pass quickly. LOL Have a great day!
    Lovinmykids

Answer by Lovinmykids at 11:57 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I agree with the other moms. My DD is the same way but if I tell her what to do and avoid using the word no, I can usually avoid a tantrum. However, when she does have a tantrum she slams her head on he floor, table, crib rails, etc. The best advice I can give is to walk away. I know it's hard, but he won't seriously injure himself, just give himself some bruises. Good Luck!
    Sophiasmommy06

Answer by Sophiasmommy06 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2008