how to discipline a REALLY hyperactive child??

recently my son has been SO bad. Not listening, screaming non-stop, running around like crazy, pushing and hitting, bossing everyone around, throwing fits in the store, and last of all telling me NO! He will tell me no to every single thing i ask him to do. it's aggravating! he's napping now, and honestly.. im not looking forward to when he wakes up :/ yeah i know, its sad. but i don't know what has changed.. he used to be somewhat behaved. then all of a sudden he turned into a monster! i ignore him everytime he wines when he doesn't get what he wants, and reward him for good things he does. i don't know what else to do! whats causing him to act out? what can i do to fix this? AND whats the best way to punish him?! (he'll be 4 in december)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just ignoring the negative behaviors isn't stopping them. And just rewarding isn't working either. I know that from your description. He's acting out because he can. He's being allowed to scream, run around, push, hit, boss, throw fits, and say "NO". Each and every time he does any one of these behaviors that you want to stop, he needs to go immediately to time out. If he leaves time out (and he will), he needs to be put back in time out. Each and every time. And each and every time he is put in time out, you need to very simply and very briefly tell him why - not a discussion, not a debate, not an argument.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Ignore the negative. Use lots of positive reinforcement. Also for a hyperactive child you could try sensory therapy, to maybe decrease the behaviors.
    haysmum

Answer by haysmum at 5:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You are his mom right? Well if he isn't obeying, just remove him from those things or take the things away. Other than that if he is in danger, or hurting himself, I would just let him calm himself by doing those things you do already, and not take personal any other criticism on the site, since they aren't there. ....you can only do this for you and nobody on this ( you can't please anyone here) Now if he is tantrum only and won't calm, it could be some games he played too much, or not enough sleep, or staying up too late, or even too much sugar, not enough protein, kind of thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with justnancyb, time outs really do work. If you ignore his behavior, you're really not correcting it. First and foremost, BE CONSISTENT. When he starts acting up, give him a warning. If he doesn't stop, you put him in time out. Either a special bench/seat somewhere, or in his room (we put my son in his room, because he HATES being away from the action). A rule of thumb is one minute for every year in age. Tell him why he's in time out, and leave. At first, he will leave time out, probably more times than you can count. And it WILL be aggravating. But keep picking him up and putting him back. Honestly, I don't talk to him at all after the first time, I just pick him up and put him back. It may seem at first that he'll never stay, but just keep it up. Eventually, he will. Then you can go to him, repeat again why he was in time out, make him say sorry, and hug him.

Textbook Supernanny, I know, but I swear it works!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• OK I CAN REALLY RELATE TO YOUR PROBLEM BUT AT LEAST YOUR SON TAKES NAPS MY SON IS SOOO HYPERACTIVE THAT HE REFUSES TO NAP AND HE DOSEN'T EAT SUGARS ALL DAY DESPITE WHAT SOME MAY SAY... BUT AS FOR DISCIPLINE I USE THE TIME OUT CHAIR I KNOW ITS STRESSFUL TO HEAR THEM SCREAM BUT WHAT I DID WAS I BECAME FED UP AND I STUCK HIM ON THE CHAIR AND HE GOT UP 5 TIMES SO I TOOK AWAY HIS PLAYTIME OUTSIDE AND ALL THETOYS BASICLY ANY FUN THEN HE'D STAY PUT UNTILL THE SCREAMING STARTED SO I WOULD ADD A MINUET AND SURE ENOUGH HE NOW BEHAVES IT REALLY ONLY TOOK 2 DAYS. GOOD LUCK HOPE THIS HELPS.
    magical_mommy

Answer by magical_mommy at 3:33 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Great question nothing ever seems to work for me
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My best advice is always more one on one time. Good luck.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 4:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2010