how can i get him to talk more?

my ds is 13 months old and can say some words but chooses not to....idk why. he says mama alot but the other things i know he can say, he just dosen't unless it's some random time like in the tub or in the car he might say "hey woof" or something like that

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This reminds of one of the quotes on BLEEP My Dad Says

"The baby will talk when he talks, relax. It ain't like he knows the cure for cancer and he just ain't spitting it out."

simple smile

As long as he's talking a bit and able to follow directions, point and identify somethings when asked, it's good.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• KIds develop differently. Just keeping saying words to him and he'll hopefully pick them up and start repeating back to you, providing he has no delays (like mine does--but he's improved greatly with therapy).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Just talk normal to him and continue to label everything. It will come in time.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Read to him and ask him questions all the time. Make the questions have one word answers. Point to parts of your body and say Nose, Eyes, etc. Than ask him where his is. When he points at it say "What is that?" Wait for an answer.
    Read books with only one picture on a page. First tell him what it is and than next time ask him what is it?
    Make it very exciting when he answers. Clap and jump
    Make talking a very fun time. A game.
    Go for it.
    He is young and once he starts talking you will be asking how can I shut him up?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• it's not that he can't talk it jsut he chooses not to..he was born a month early but everything else is on track i think he's just being stubborn, like not holding his cup unless i make him sit down in the play pen with it lol
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• oh and he knows what stuff is, like clap ..he'll clap or i'll say give me a kiss and he'll make kiss noises and i'll ask him where is the dog and he'll look in the floor for her and smack the side of his highchair and sometimes say "woof"
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Animal sounds are fun too. Ruff, meow, moo, neigh, baa and on and on.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• lol that's kinda a smart ass response but i like it
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• that's pretty young yet to even talk at all, the fact he can is a good thing :) even if he wont - my son didn't say much til 16 months then at 19 months started 2 word sentances and added a word each week -it was amazing.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I didn't mean it to be smart ass, it was just a quote that came to mind when I read the question. I do not mean any offense at all.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010