Should we skip baby's first playdate if he has thrush?

Been trying to get rid of thrush for since he was born. (I was administered antibiotics b/c o infection during delivery.) Now baby has his first playdate tomorrow and I am not sure if we should go in case it can be spread to others.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think it can be spread unless the other baby uses your baby's pacifier or bottle or something like that.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• thrush is an imbalance of good bacteria and yeast in the body. It's not contagious like that. Keep the playdate
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would just make sure to wash off any toys that go in the mouth with hot water. Thrush IS contagious. that's why if a breast feeding child gets thrush the mother has to treat her breast with an anti-fungal . Been there done that!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It is very contagious. It is in the environment but your baby could pass it on in heavy concentrations. That's why you are supposed to boil or discard nipples and pacifiers and do all the special cleaning of toys and clothing.  It could be passed to a playmate by toys or hands. Sometimes whole families have to be treated. The reason he hasn't gotten over it may be that you haven't cleaned everything or a family member has it without symptoms and is reinfecting him. Here is a link. The information sheet by Anne Smith is good.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/thrush-resources.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Keep the play date.. just don't allow your baby to share toys (usually not too hard with a newborn).
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 8:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think you should reschedule his playdate until his thrush is completely gone. Thrush is contatagious and we all know how babies share almost everything. You should talk to the other parents and let them know what's going on.You don't want his playmate's parents to think you inconsiderate. If I were you I would reshedule the playdate. Aleast the other parents will know that you are concern about their child getting thrush. Therefore when he does have his first playdate he'll have a ball. And you won't have anything to worry about nor the other parents.
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 9:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It is only contagious if they are going to be french kissing, licking each other or sharing bottles or pacis.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010