Using a spray bottle of vinegar as discipline?

I have a 2 year old son who has somehow learned several curse words (don't bash me - I do NOT curse around my son; I think he learned it from my mother). I am trying to find alternative ways to discipline this because time out doesn't seem to be working.

I have seen several moms here on CM that use vinegar as a form of discipline - they put it in a spray bottle and spray a little into the child's mouth. Since vinegar actually has health benefits, you're doing nothing to abuse the child but vinegar doesn't taste good, so it conditions against the behavior.

Does anyone do this? What kind of vinegar do you use (white or apple cider)? Do you mix it with water? What kind of spray bottle is best (preferably something portable)? Any other info? Thanks!

WomanWitty

Asked by WomanWitty at 5:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did it to my now 11 year old and my sister did it to her now almost 14 year old. Neither one of them like it. I used whatever vinegar I had on hand and I used one of those small travel spray bottles that you can find at Walmart or Target.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think it abuse even if it isn't toxic. The person you should be punishing is the one that taught him those words.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

what she said...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 5:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• are you serious??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm not sure a 2 year old is old enough to understand discipline like that. Your son isn't old enough to distinguish between a bad word and one that's not bad... He won't understand why you're doing it so I would just keep telling him "no" and stay away from anything more harsh until he's old enough to understand.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have slipped a word here or there that got repeated when my children were younger, my best experience was to ignore it and not make a big deal about it, they are still building their vocabulary at that age and will forget it as long as it isnt used in front of them on a regular basis.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• At two I would teach that those are grown up words and when he is a grown up he can say them. He is 2 not 4 or 5 so I don't think vinegar is a good idea. You have to be consistent with a toddler and can remind them of the same rule up to 15 times before they consistently remember it so I think vinegar is extreme at this age. If you said he was older it would be different.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• He doesn't swear when he's angry because HE DOESN"T UNDERSTAND what those words mean!! Which is why it's meaningless to spray vinegar in his mouth to punish him for it! He's TWO. Come on.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You should have a talk to your mother about the words she is using around your little one.... And What I have done with my 3 toddler boys IS when I heard them saying a dirty word I would say Something right after it a couple of times LIKE Oh Shoot! Son of a biscuit! OH Crackers! What in the world!....... Just say it like something happened to YOU and act like you didn't hear what their dirty word was. It worked for my 3 boys and It is working with the little boy I watch! They don't understand the difference between the words at this age! so just switch the words around and make the dirty words harmless words! it takes time but it worked for me!
    shastamarie

Answer by shastamarie at 8:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• they did that to biters at the daycare i worked at, i think it's mean but that's jmo.. most of the kids liked it anyway lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2010