Fever question

My 16 month old had a fever of 104 yesterday...I gave her tylenol/motrin every 3 hours until bedtime. When she woke up her temp was 101.4. I've given her 2 more doses today and her current temp is 100.4. Should I keep medicating her now or is that low enough to stop? I will keep checking it of course....

Asked by stepmom929 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• JMO I would have taken mine to the doctor or ER if it got to 104, but that is just me. I keep giving meds though until it goes normal then I stop to see if it goes back up

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I called her doctor and she told me to give her motrin and if it came down we didn't need to go to the ER.

Comment by stepmom929 (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would finish out the day and then not give any tomorrow unless she spikes a temp again but that's just me

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Just monitor for now but if it spike up again then continue medication.  I do hope it stay down.

For future reference read this.

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i would give it to her periodically throughout the day,..maybe every 6-8 hours...the doctors don't seem to think a fever, even at 104, is anything....yes, that's even with a second opinion, dd had a horrible doctor when we first moved and i was constantly calling to get second opinions. good luck

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would just give it if the temp spikes or she is uncomfortable.... there is no danger in fevers so it's fine to just see what happens. I would probably give a dose of motrin just before bed so that she has a comfortable nights rest and during the day just let her be as long as she is comfortable... even if she is running a fever.

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Even a fever of 104 isn't really ER worthy, unless there's also other symptoms. I've been told to alternate Tylenol and Motrin- give T, then 2 hours later give M, and then T 2 hours later, etc. If the fever comes down, keep it up and have her checked after a few days. A high fever for more than 24-48 hours should be seen to make sure it's not something worse. (DD had this for 6 days last year, when she was 1; after 2 Dr. visits and bloodwork, she was hospitalized for a UTI/ sepsis- but that clued us in on a problem with her kidneys)

Answer by musichollie at 10:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2010