Fever question

My 16 month old had a fever of 104 yesterday...I gave her tylenol/motrin every 3 hours until bedtime. When she woke up her temp was 101.4. I've given her 2 more doses today and her current temp is 100.4. Should I keep medicating her now or is that low enough to stop? I will keep checking it of course....

thanks!!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• JMO I would have taken mine to the doctor or ER if it got to 104, but that is just me. I keep giving meds though until it goes normal then I stop to see if it goes back up
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I called her doctor and she told me to give her motrin and if it came down we didn't need to go to the ER.
    stepmom929

Comment by stepmom929 (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would finish out the day and then not give any tomorrow unless she spikes a temp again but that's just me
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Just monitor for now but if it spike up again then continue medication.  I do hope it stay down.

For future reference read this.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i would give it to her periodically throughout the day,..maybe every 6-8 hours...the doctors don't seem to think a fever, even at 104, is anything....yes, that's even with a second opinion,..my dd had a horrible doctor when we first moved and i was constantly calling to get second opinions. good luck
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would just give it if the temp spikes or she is uncomfortable.... there is no danger in fevers so it's fine to just see what happens. I would probably give a dose of motrin just before bed so that she has a comfortable nights rest and during the day just let her be as long as she is comfortable... even if she is running a fever.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Even a fever of 104 isn't really ER worthy, unless there's also other symptoms. I've been told to alternate Tylenol and Motrin- give T, then 2 hours later give M, and then T 2 hours later, etc. If the fever comes down, keep it up and have her checked after a few days. A high fever for more than 24-48 hours should be seen to make sure it's not something worse. (DD had this for 6 days last year, when she was 1; after 2 Dr. visits and bloodwork, she was hospitalized for a UTI/ sepsis- but that clued us in on a problem with her kidneys)
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2010