Chemical-free alternatives for cleaning?

I am trying to come up with more chemical free alternatives for cleaning my house, but I haven't ANY clue how to do these things.

People say you can use baking soda to clean your shower floor - do you use that just like you would Comet or Ajax? Do you mix it with something?

What about using vinegar to clean? Do you mix that with water? What kind of vinegar (apple cider or white)?

Any other chemical free tips I could use? I would appreciate it!

WomanWitty

Asked by WomanWitty at 5:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You can make a paste with water and baking soda for tough sink, toilet and bathtub scum/stains. I use a spray bottle with half water half white vinegar to clean my home. Vinegar is a natural antibacterial. But if you want an extra boost of anti-bac you can put a few drops of tea tree essential oil in the bottle as well.

You can even refreshen up carpets with some baking soda a half hour before vacuuming. You can clean drains with vinegar and baking soda...i put some baking soda down the drain and then pour vinegar in. Just some notice, the two fizz once mixed.

Homemade laundry detergent is easy to make and VERY inexpensive. A batch makes about 2.5 gallons and lasts about 6 months. I still have enough for 2 loads of the batch I made April 1st. All you need it a bucket, a bar of ivory (or fels naptha) soap, borax and washing soda. Borax and Washing Soda (sold in large arm & hammer boxes as super washing soda).
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have a great book called Green Housekeeping. She gives many alternatives for cleaning. You should get it, its pretty good.
    Although I am pretty happy with the safe stuff I use around the house.

Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 5:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• White vinegar works (good thing it is cheap too)

You can use toothpaste to clean your faucets and shaving cream for your mirror. I use denture tablets to get stains from hard water out of my toilets. You can also try the green products, almost every grocery store has an off brand now. I love being able to clean my bathroom with my daughter (she cleans the floors)
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 5:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• baking and vinegar are some of the best to use. I jusr sprinkle the area with baking soda dump on the vinegar ket it do it's thing for a while thenn scrub down just like with ajax or comet.
    I dilute the vinegar in some water for like washing windows and such. Dump some soda in the toilet and dump some vinegar in that white works best but yo can use any kind.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• are available in most grocery stores, target, wal-mart, etc. The ivory soap I usualy get a 3 pack at the dollar store. You spend that initial $7-$8 on those things and that will be enough for about 2 YEARS worth of laundry detergent.

Grate the soap and melt it in about half a gallon of water on the stove, once melted pour into the bucket, add 2 cups of borax and 2 cups of washing soda and mix, stir in 2 gallons of water until dissolved and your done. Use 1/4 cup per load. You will need to stir it before you use it as it congeals on the top a little bit. You can use vinegar in your rinse cycle as a natural fabric softener.

You can even use a mixture of 50/50 borax and washing soda as a dishwasher powder.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Take a look at the EcoSense line of cleaning products - they are natural, smell wonderful, work great and are very economical - you can view information about the line at www. saferforyourhome.com :)
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I use my Wagner 905 power steamer for almost everything. It gets everything totally clean and doesn't use any chemicals or have any smell.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010