what if both homes are are safe and both parents are good to the child. what favor will the custody be in if the dad is fighting for full custody and the mom wants joint custody?

child custody

Asked by tiff04 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it really depends on what state you are in. (i studies law in tn and not too familiar with other states) tennessee favors the mom! in most situations, it is very hard for the dad to get full custody. if you are in the battle right now.... get a journal and document everything and dont go out partying or do anything unresponsible bc he will be digging for dirt to win.

Answer by hendrickson at 12:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Normally if there is no hard evidence for the father having sole custody, the custody is shared. It takes a lot for a judge to take a mom out of the custody issue

Answer by tiffanismommica at 12:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Each state is different however I know that across the US there is a HUGE mandate and pull towards equal parenting. People are starting to understand the impact that BOTH parents have on a child developement and are thus pulling for more equal and fair parental rights.

Answer by mamakirs at 12:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I agree with the other posts. I will also add that I have know 2 fathers in OK that the attorneys advised the fathers to go for full know that the outcome will be joint. This maybe the case for you too.

Answer by luvnshawn at 12:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• As long as there is no good reason for you not to have custody, the judge will probably make a decision of joint custody
    Good luck to you

Answer by MariaC68 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i'm sure it'll be joint custody, esp. if there's no proof that any of u r unfit. But make sure u both can come to an agreement, it's way harder on the child.

Answer by mgm_5 at 1:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It differs from state to state.

Answer by kaysha at 1:28 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• most of the time unless he can prove something really bad for you to be an unfit mother than you all will get joint least thats how most cases turns out..that i've hears about!

Answer by rissa_mommyof2 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• States differ in their regulations, but usually from the research I've done (going through it myself) they will give joint custody as long as both parents and requesting to be involved and if they can't prove any reason why they shouldn't, and if they find nothing that proves them as unfit. Another thing that I found out if that if your child lives primarily with you between the time of the split and them announcing custody, that they child will most likely live more with you. I hope I explained that right, but they look at the child's routine, if they're in daycare, school, have certain close family members - that sort of thing. They won't take the child away from a home where he/she has a regulated schedule and external family members. I had to look in to that because my ex-husband doesn't live in this town and I wanted to know my son would stay with me because he goes to daycare here 5 days a week and stays with his grandma every Friday.

Answer by BeckNAiden at 9:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2008