Are my cats really that unusually easy going?

So... I have a lot of cats, 7 to be exact. All indoors, too. I've had all of them since they were kittens, and they're now anywhere between 8-17 years old. People always seem to be amazed at the things they let me do to them. For example, I bathe them, and not one of them has ever tried to get away, or scratch me. I cut all their nails without any issues. Last week I completely shaved the 17 year old one for the first time (she was getting really ratty), and she just stood there and let me do it. Whenever I'd introduce a new cat or dog (I have 2 of those too), they all took it in stride, no hissing or any of that.

So I guess what I'm wondering is, is that really unusual?

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 5:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Pets

• yeah, id say. i did have a cat once who let me bathe him though.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If all 7 of them act this way its unusual I have had ONE cat be that way before. It was like a limp dishrag most of the time....you could vacuum her fur to get loose hair....lol.

but to have 7 at one time...that is unusual.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well, actually, 6 of them are mine, the last one is the cat my fiance brought in with him, and I wouldn't dare do any of those things to him, because he'd most likely take my face off, heh. But yes, my "original" cats are incredibly mild and gentle. Which really comes in handy now that my 2 year old likes to drag them around by the neck ;)
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yeah, really unusual!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would say unusual and lucky. Our youngest cat (about a year old) grows extra legs and teeth whenever we try to clip her claws. And she makes the scariest noised I have ever heard. The other 2 don't love it but don't give us too hard a time. I would dare wash any of them, though.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Oh, I know I'm lucky, heh. Trust me, my fiance's cat turns into the devil if he only THINKS I'm getting ready to clip his nails... And he makes the most awful sounds too. Thankfully I'm pretty skillful at pinning him down so he does the least amount of damage. He still manages to get some swipes in every now and then, OUCH!
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It could be because you've had them since they were babies. My two cats (brothers) who came to me when they were about 8/9 weeks were barn cats. The tolerate me! They only really love me when its feeding time. They are 9 years old now and no one has ever seen them...except in pictures. Cats get their lovey people personality before the age of 6/7 weeks. GOOD FOR YOU! :)
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Hmmm, that would be true for my older cats, I've had them since they were 4 weeks. They were feral cats, and I had to bottle feed them for a few weeks, so we were pretty tight, heh. But the younger ones were all a couple of months old before I got them... And they're still mellow. I guess I just got lucky!

I know what you mean about only seeing cats in pictures though, my feral born cats aren't fond of strangers.... One of them is so shy, when I had roommates, they lived with me for over a YEAR before they got a glimpse of him. Where he managed to hide all that time, who knows.
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I treat my cats like I do the dogs. They get used to being handled. I clean their ears, trim their nails all of that. All of my cats have been good for me pretty laid back. I have three now that were bathed so often as young kittens that they have no fear of the water well they have not fear of anything.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• All but one of mine are like that (I've got 8). Good with other cats, good with dogs, good with people. If you handle them a lot, play with them, groom them, etc. they tend to respond. I can run Qtips around their ears when they need cleaning and the only reaction I get is purring. They aren't all aloof or snooty, but they seem that way to people who don't know much about them or spend a lot of time with them.

I don't think your cats are unusual, but you as a cat owner are. Most occasionally pet their cats, feed them and change the litter, but don't really interact with them. Kudos to you and your cats!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2010