How can I stop my 8 year olds teasing?

My 8 year old son teases his siblings from the minute he wakes up in the morning until the minute he goes to bed at night. I know kids tease, but this is getting out of hand. It is really disrupting the whole house. Does anyone have any displine strategies that they have used for this same issue that have worked? Thank you so much for any ideas you might have.

KathMW

Asked by KathMW at 8:31 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My oldest is the same way. I do not even think he realizes he is doing it because he does it so much. The first thing I did was I starting doing things that bothered him. For example:

He was sitting on the couch and I started poking him with my finger. He said mom stop your bothering me. Well I just kept doing it and I kept igonoring him. Finally I said "it is annoying when someone is bothering you like that and they won't stop" He got it and has gotten a little better.

The other thing that works really well in my house is the separation. If any of them start bothering each other, to much, I separate them. They have to stay in separate rooms for 20 mins. They are not allowed to talk to each other or play with each other.

Good luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Kids tease most of the time because they feel inferior and need to gain some control. Are the other kids smarter, more talented, athletic, do they get more attention from you or Dad....find out what it is that he's jealous of. Help him to learn what he is good at....use the big brother/good example rule....would you let a stranger pick on your sister like that? Make some house rules....if anyone violates assign a certain punishment like extra chores, loss of priviledges etc. the punishment must be the same for every child!
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:09 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Whenever my girls fight and cannot get along, I only NOW have to threaten then with Chores!! A few times I emptied all the llinens from the linen closet(From Parent Magazine) and put it in a gigantic pile and they had to work together and fold it and put it all away the way I had it or I would dump it all over the floor again. It works. They hate having to do chores like that. They love to help me around the house but being made to organize the linen closet is pure agony. If that doesn't work because you have a boy, make him move a rock pile from one end of the backyard to the other side. Some maual labor might get him to make smarter choices and have more respect in the household. If a child grows up respecting noone, they will not respect themselves or anyone else as they get older. Nio it in the bud now before it gets worse.

GENEWIZE2008

Answer by GENEWIZE2008 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Make him be alone. He starts picking on the others then move him to a room by himself. He is not aloud to talk to anybody else but you and dad.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2008