Are you raising your child in your religion?

Whatever your belief system (or lack of), are you raising your child to follow those beliefs as well? Will you give them the opportunity to learn about other religions and faiths when they get older? What if they decide to follow a faith that you do not believe in or are against?

WomanWitty

Asked by WomanWitty at 5:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I am raising my children in my religion...i don't see why someone wouldn't. Ultimately it is for them to decide when they grow up. I hope they follow the same faith, but of ocurse I would still love and accept them if they didn't.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm an atheist, so I'm obviously not going to drag my child to church any time soon. However, I WILL make sure he learns about all the different religions once he's a little older (he's only 2 now), and he's free to make up his own mind as to what he wants to do. I was raised Catholic, and my dad doesn't have a problem with me being an atheist now (even though he still lights candles for me in church, heh), so why would I be any different?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Oh sorry I didn't add the issue of teaching other religions.

My son's family (both sides) consist of : Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims and Buddhist..... Growing up he has been to : Mosques, Gurdwaras, Temples (both Hindu and Buddhist), various Christian churches and even a Synagogue or two.

My husband and I are both devout believers that there is not one single "right" path to God. But a path that is right for each individual.

In order for a person to find their path. They must be exposed to, participate in and learn about any and all paths out there that interest them. Which is what we encouraged and helped our son do. Be exposed to, participate in and learn about any and all paths that he wanted to learn about.

I believe a person's beliefs &/or relationship with God is very personal and individual. Everyone forms their belief (or non belief) based on : their own ideals, life experiences, view points..ect.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My DD is the reason why I became more involved in the church, she was in the choir. If she chooses another faith, I'd be happy if it was a sane one and not anything crazy like devil worhipping.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 6:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• we're atheists, and I consider myself to be an a-theistic pagan.
    our kids will be told about the major faiths (and that there are others, as well as individual spiritual paths) and I'll take them to any church in which they are interested.
    my seven year old knows his spiritual choices are his own, and he knows what we believe. (the toddler is too young yet for such considerations)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:15 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes and no. lol

I was raised Hindu. But I have not been a full on/all encompassing practicing Hindu for years.. However, I still participate in many activites/holidays/festivals.etc.. So my son was raised participating in those things (Iike Holi, Diwali...etc). I did not raise him to be a Hindu, I never expected him to be a Hindu, I never wanted him to be one. I wanted, expected, and guided my son to choose his own path.

My husband is a devout Sikh. So again, my son participated in many aspects of the Sikh religion. My husband shared the same view as I, in regards to our son finding his own path.

My son (now an adult) chose to follow the Sikh path. Which is fine with me. He is his own person, his own thoughts, views,etc. It would be impossible for me to force, expect or demand he follow any path other than his own.

Both Hindus and Sikhs believe that each person has their own path to seek and follow.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We are raising our children as Christians. We are raising them according to what we believe which is to 'raise them up in the way that they should go' We put no emphasis on denomination. Of course they will be allowed to learn about other religions. The more you know about anything the better you are for it. If they chose to become something other that Christian I would be sad but I would not love them any less or treat them any differently.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• No, not really. I practice Buddhism but am from a nominally Christian background, dh is an atheist but is from a nominally Hindu background. Our kids are exposed to all these beliefs without being 'raised' in any of them specifically. We talk about them and we encourage them to think about what it is that they believe.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm not "against" any faith even if I don't believe that they are correct.
    Of course, I believe that my faith is correct. Everyone does. I will share what I believe to be true with my children and they will be raised attending the church we attend as a family. I will always be upfront about what I believe and why.
    However, once they are old enough to have a grasp on religion they are free to study & learn about any religion they have an interest in understanding better. Faith is not inherited. Faith is also not valid if it is not truly a choice. There is no choice if you don't understand that there are other ways of life. If all my children do is take my beliefs & believe them because I do, its a waste of time. I'd no sooner prefer that than have them espouse a completely opposite religion or lack of religion.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Nope. My children aren't being raised with any religion. Instead we are exposing them to as many paths as we can so they can make their own choice when they are ready.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010