Are video games the "devil's flute?"

For full article follow link: http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/09/20/5144694-are-video-games-the-devils-flute
Excerpts of article by Winda Benedetti
The state of California and the video game industry are about to go head-to-head in front of the highest court in the land. But if the case, which revolves around the sale of violent video games to minors, were to be decided based on the sheer number of supporting briefs filed on each side, California would have already lost in a landslide.
In the case of Arnold Schwarzenegger v. Entertainment Merchants Association/Entertainment Software Association, California is asking the Supreme Court to allow the state to uphold its ban the sale of violent video games to minors. Meanwhile, the video game industry argues that the California law is a violation of First Amendment rights, among other things.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• First off...................

"Devil's flute" bwahahahahaaaa..........

Ok better now. :-)

The research that was used did not prove that violent video games cause violent behaviour in children. They may have been able to show correllation, but not causation. I find the research that was presented in favor of , flawed because of this.

Parents, not the government, should be monitoring what games their children buy and play. Most children (young children) do not take their money, take themselves to the store, and buy a video game or rent one. Most of the time, it is parents who are doing those things. Parents need to be responsible for the media their children consume.

There are already laws that prevent the sale/rental of video games rated "M" to minors. So I do not see the need in yet more laws dictating this issue.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• While I don't see anything necessarily wrong with video games, I do feel they need to be age appropriate. Violent video games should not be sold to minors, period. If the ban is violating their 1st amendment rights, that opens the door for things like pornography being available to minors.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Every generation has something that is linked to "the devil" and out to make our children evil and ruin their lives. Used to be Rock and Roll... you know, the same stuff they now play as Classic Rock and use as a safe happy medium in group affairs. Also used to be automobiles when they first came rolling off the lot.

HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't see why the stores have to be responsible for doing the job of lazy parents. Even if the law stands, nothing is going to prevent people who don't give a damn from buying the games for their kids and grandkids, and all their friends will still see it when they visit. The ONLY way to prevent a child from seeing media the parent does not want them to see is for the parent to put down the cell phone, turn off the tv and actually pay attention to what their child does and who their child hangs out with.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• For a number of reasons we don't having video game systems in our home....too many more important things to do with our time-- after school, weekends and summers. I survived just fine not having video games as a kid--well, unless you consider Pong a video game! LOL And so, my children will too! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Gee, I wonder how many more parental responsibilities the government is going to try to take away from us......... The video games that are appropriate for children are no less violent than Looney Toons, or active games like Whack-A-Mole! This is so totally a parent's choice as to whether their children play video games, and which games are played. Does Cali have nothing better to do than to monitor the video game habits of minor children??
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't think they are "The Devil's Flute"...whatever, but some of the more violent games are not a healthy way to spend time for young people. I think parents have to be aware of what kind of games their kids are playing. But,I don't see that any games should be "outlawed" or restricted.
    Although, I guess I am not sure if parents care enough to investigate the games their kids own,you know?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Agree Pixie
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree pixie trix !
    :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I was going to call it the Devil's guitar, but other than that, I agree with everything Pixie said.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 6:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010