Teeth whitening?

Is it worth it? Necessary? Do you notice if someone hasn't done it and judge them because of it?

RJNEELEY

Asked by RJNEELEY at 6:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I wouldn't go spending a lot of money on teeth whitening. It's hard on your teeth for one and it only lasts for so long. My dentist recommends using baking soda to brush my teeth and peroxide (if you aren't allergic to it) as a mouth wash. Use only a small amount and DO NOT SWALLOW IT!!! It will make you throw up A LOT if you do. Use it as a rinse only and then brush with a toothpaste that has floride in it to put the protective layer back on your teeth. Do this for about a week and you will see a HUGE difference. :D
    mrsnikifrank

Answer by mrsnikifrank at 8:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If you are going to continue to drink coffee, eat blueberries or beats, drink red wine or smoke it is not worth it at all... if you are young it looks good.... if you are my Dentists age it looks awful!!! She is in her late 50's with beginnings of wrinkles (not an issue for me she earned them) but bright white teeth clash with an aging face....
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 8:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I've never had mine professionally done, but I love Crest Premium Whitestrips and I use Arm and Hammer Advanced White (Brilliant Sparkle) and Listerine Whitening plus Restoring mouthwash/rinse after brushing and sometimes use the Pre-Brush Listerine Whitening and people are always commenting on how white my teeth are. I also try to limit my coffee, tea and dark cola drinking to keep from staining them (I'm fanatical about my teeth not being yellow or dirty looking)
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 9:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Never had it done, but Crest Pro White stripes work in about a week. Whitening at the dentist is a little too pricy for me
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'd love to get professional whitening done - my husband did it before our wedding, and it looked great! But I'm too frugal for that. Instead I just use the whitening pre-rinse (Target makes their own kind, less expensive than Listerine) and whitening tooth paste. Keeps the coffee at bay. :)
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I've had them professionally done twice over the past 10 years and it was a total waste of money each time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 AM on Sep. 23, 2010