How to get rid of lice completely?

My daughter has gotten lice from someone at school.. Her hair is very thick and although I have cut it and treated her hair with the OTC products and combed through it getting every nit or bug I could find, they stil come back!! I have tried mayo to no avail. It seems no matter what I try they keep comming back or she keeps getting them from soneone at school. She was sent home today for having lice/nits in her hair. We have a no nit policy so if she even has one dead nit in her hair she cant go back. Any suggestions? I have done everything in the normal aspect (washing or bagging everything up treating everyones heads, combing ect) and even some of the not so normal techniques. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Health

• shave the head

Answer by louise2 at 9:29 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I feel your pain! My 6 yr old kept getting them from school, and we battled lice for 2 months! I was seriously thinking of shaving her head it was so frustrating.

Do the kids share a cubby or some common place for them to hang jackets & backpacks? If so, start having your DD put her jacket into a garbage bag so that her belongings can not get infested from someone else. I also got the lice spray for the furniture, her mattress, car seat, etc. We did the mayo thing where you leave it on for 3 hours with a shower cap on. I even left it on overnight a few times. It did help, but she kept getting them back from her friend. I finally had to tell her, no hugging since it seemed they weren't sharing combs or hats or anything. Of course, I'm totally paranoid that she's going to get them this year.

Good luck! message me if you want to talk more.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 9:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• did you clean all the cloths and bedding

Answer by louise2 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Put all her bedding, stuffed animals, favorite jackets in the dryer for 30 minutes. That will kill any lice. Check everyone in the family for lice. Have someone check you. Vaccuum thoroughly. Unfortunately, you must section your dd's hair off in tiny sections and pick through it strand by strand. Some head lice become resistant to the insecticides. Here is a link you can look at.
    http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/lice/headlice018.shtml
    My dd had lice once when she was about 5. I had to take two days off work to get rid of them. I bought her coloring books, had plenty of movies handy because it literally took HOURS. Good luck.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 9:40 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i have washed everything.. combed through tiny sections and tossed everything she owns that has cloth to it in any way into the dryer or bagged it in the garage for 4 weeks. I have vacuumed the entire house.. and furniture... I have done everything the proper way severl times over. Other then shaving her head I have no idea what else to do. Legally it is wrong to shave her head where I live. One friend of mine shaved her daughters head (not because of lice but because her daughter asked her to) and social serives was called on her. Crazy world we live in here....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• to keep from getting lice.... Spray her hair with hairspray every morning before school.

To get rid of it.. just like the others said.. Bedding spray on everything fabric. Anything you can stick in the dryer on High heat put it in for an hour - and bag it up for 24-48 hours. In winter - you can put it outside - the lice can't live in the cold either.
    And if you are an EXTREMELY patient person - instead of mayo - you can use cooking oil, or vaseline - overnight on her hair. If you use vaseline.. Leave it in overnight - then the next day blow dry each section with one of the nit combs. The lice sufficate in it, and then stick to the vaseline. But don't get her hair wet until you have completely went thru and dryed out and picked out all of the vaseline. Once it's out, wash her hair - your gonna have to wash it several times... cuz of all the oil it absorbs from the vaseline.
    Good Luck
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• T-gel shampoo works to help keep them away. My dd got the damn things at daycare and of course she can't use the otc methods as she is allergic.
    I just bought a metal nit comb and just kept sectioning and combing through her hair. Her hair is thick and curly. Use detangler it helps slide them off the hair.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• oh yeah, I also kept a jar of water with a little bleach in it to rinse the comb off as I was doing her hair.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I make my children wash their hair once a week in coconut shampoo and conditioner, I've done this since my oldest started school.....she's 12 now, and luckily we've not got lice. I can't recall the reason why lice don't like the coconut shampoo...If i do, i'll post why...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• DD battled it for months. I always wondered why I never got them. Then it dawned on me.......I color my hair. So I found a shade similar to her natural color and did her hair. She never had them again.
    Of course, we did the cleaning and hot washes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2008