How do we make her stop?

This has nothing to do with my own children, it has to do with my niece. She stands on her toes constantly. She walks on them, runs on them, jumps on them, dances on them... We've tried everything to make her stop standing on her toes, but five seconds later, she's back on her toes. Standing in the store one day, a man in line behind them told my sister that it was a sign of an indigo child. Is that suppose to mean that it's unstopable? Anyone else ever had this problem and do you have any ideas on how to make it stop? She's six by the way.

CharliesKrystal

Asked by CharliesKrystal at 6:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Standing/walking on one's toes is really normal in children learning to walk. In older children, it is (rarely) a sign of autism, sometimes a sign of digestive problems, and sometimes a sign of a shortened Achilles tendon. It may also be that she is bored, daydreaming of being a ballerina or some other such thing, and nearly always kids will grow out of it.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 7:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• she will grow out of it
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 6:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Usually kids grow out of it. It generally doesn't have any effect on them at all.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• most kids do grow out of it. my niece does the same thing. my sister keeps thick heeled shoes on her all the time, that helps some.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My son does that. Its an autistic trait.
    Unless the doc tells the mom that her ligaments are in jeopardy of shortening,its no big deal.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I remember doing that as a child. My mom brought me to the doctor about it. Thinking I had something wrong with my feet. Nothing wrong with them. I grew out of it.

Answer by louise2 at 6:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2010