Do you think that?

We really have religious freedom here in the United States?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Theoretically, on paper, we have freedom of religion. We even have the right to legally challenge any percieved infringement on that religion...

But, until a judge doesn't automatically give custody to a Christian parent, just because they are Christian, or a student doesn't get diciplined for praying at a public school in private, or a person doesn't get fired or not hired because of their relgion...then no, we really don't.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 11:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I believe that we have religious freedom as prescribed by the government, but we are sometimes critcized by society for what we believe in.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 9:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Yes. That's not to say that society won't judge you for what you believe, but the government has not made any religion illegal.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• We def have freedom. The thing that doesnt seem to make that a true statement is our freedom of speech/opinion. We let other people get to us and dont use our privelage to worship as we should.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• NO! There is far to much stigma on many belief cause people to "practice underground" or causes "perscution".

In HS I was given a D in a class that I earned an A in because I wasn't a follower of the local religion (my teacher was the church leader)!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 9:57 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• We definitely have freedom of religion, but freedom to freely practice that religion (or lack thereof) without judgment is another story :P
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Our government has given us freedom of religion, but society has not.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Society has hindered our right of religous freedom...if we were truly free then we would not be removing things like the ten comandments from court houses...
    Anonymous

• "if we were truly free then we would not be removing things like the ten comandments from court houses... "

if we were truly free, they never would have been put there in the first place

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 2:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• On paper it is there but let one of my Pagan sisters put out a Goddess or Green Man on her lawn and wow the whole neighborhood goes nuts. In some areas of the U.S it is difficult to even wear our jewelry outside of our clothing. Not me I do live in a very liberal state. But that is not the point. I know a couple that had snakes put in their mail box. Another that had a hanging witch on her lawn. Another that was harassed on her job because of her jewelry. IEven in my liberal state I have had people that come knocking on my door with all of my Pagan things out on my front door and beg me to go to chruch. And those are the ones that end the conversation of they will pray for my soul. We don't convert anyone to our path and we don't go to peoples houses asking them to go to our rituals. Until we get past the mind set of my religion is right and yours is wrong there will not be true religious freedom.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2008