If you are not a Christian, do you get offended if someone says they will pray for you?

I'm not talking about those who tell you they will pray that you find God. I'm talking about those who tell you they will pray for you if you've said "I'm going through a hard time...." or "my child is sick...." etc.

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 9:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Really, all society needs to do is look at things from another persepctive. If you tell me your are Chrisitan and know that I am pagan and I say "ooohh...I'll pray to my Goddess that you find the true path" or "I pray that you find the Goddess" then it would be offensive to you. If, you are Christian and know that I am pagan and you say "my son broke his leg in 3 places" and I say "Oh, you have my blessings" or "you are in my thoughts" then it won't offend you (or shouldn't). If we just look at how others see things and act accordingly, this world would be so much better. If you are uncomfrotable with me praying to my Goddess that you find the "true" religion then don't pray for me to your God to find the true religion.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 11:42 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• No, I don't get offended. I see it as there way of saying they care and hope all goes well/ gets better. But I've had people act offended when I say "I'll keep you in my thoughts" instead of "I'll pray for you".
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 9:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Really, hillmom? How ridiculous. That's almost like being offended because someone says "to-may-to" instead of "to-mah-to". People.....
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• That doesn't offend me. The people that use prayer as a weapon offend me.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 10:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I am a Christian and I really dont think that people ( most of them any way) are using prayer to offend any one.. At least not intentional.. Like hillmom said.. it is a way to let people know that we care and are thinking of them..
    luvsfrogs

Answer by luvsfrogs at 10:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• If they are praying for me and my family going through hard times or pray for me because my leg is broke, or pray for me to find a job or something like that...no, it doesn't offend me becauseI figure prayers and well wishes are good no matter the language, culture or religion they are coming from.

But...if someone prays that I will find Christianity or pray for my soul because I am pagan, yes, that offends me because I don't need that. I didn't "lose" Christianity, I chose to leave it, so I don't need prayers that I will find it and I am not worried about my soul so leave it alone as well.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 10:28 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Honestly, I think that many religions say "I'll pray for you" when they're wishing someone well. Even if you're not religious at all you know they mean you well!
    babyjakesmama

Answer by babyjakesmama at 10:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• No, it doesn't offend me if they are meaning it in a beneficial manner. If I'm going through a hard time and people tell me they will pray for me it makes me feel good. It means they are thinking of me and want the best for me. I, likewise, tell people they will be in my thoughts because usually they will be. Just knowing someone is thinking about you in your hard times is enough to get you through.
    If they are praying for my "lost" soul or my kids (because they have a heathen mother) or to find Jesus then I do get very offended. I don't go around telling them I will be hoping they realize god isn't real. That's just rude.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:38 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Only if it is said in a condesending manner, like they are praying I will change my heathen ways or something. I am not offended if a Christian friend wishes to pray for me about the struggles going on in my life. It can't hurt.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:04 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• It depends...

If I know the person is honestly concerned about whatever I might be going thru that would cause them to offer, then by all means, from a polytheistic perspective, the more the merrier--I'm not going to be insulted at all...

But by the same token, I have seen Christian friends freak out and thow a fit when a non-Christian says the same thing to them, and I find that a little insulting...and I find the "I'll pray you find God" thing insulting as well.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 11:40 AM on Oct. 20, 2008