My 7 year old son has ADHD/ODD how can I get him to focus and sit still in school??

My son is 7 years old he has adhd/odd. He is not able to sit still more than 30 mins at a time in school. The doctor has had him on so so many differnt meds its crazy. I dont know what to do. I was thinking maybe homeschool would work best, but I just want him to get an education. Please help.

melissac9903

Asked by melissac9903 at 6:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My stepson has a very hard time sitting still as well, he probably has adhd but he gets good grades so we've chosen not to medicate him...if it was affecting his schoolwork it might be a different story... All we can do is meet with his teacher and try to come up with some sort of plan for him...what does his teacher say? Are they willing to work with you?
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Please be careful with the medication the doctors are putting him on - Ritalin is a Class-2 narcotic. - as many as 2/3 of the millions of children on Ritalin are actually suffering from acute allergic reactions to environmental agents and dietary factors - when it comes to toxins, the amount of exposure is not as important as how sensitive a person is. Children need much less exposure than adults do to develop negative symptoms. Try and identify any and all food, food additives, household cleaners, and synthetic substances shown to be reactive, and remove them from the environment. For household cleaning products take a look at the EcoSense line at www.saferforyourhome.com - also, grape seed extract has been shown to improve concentration and mental focus. good luck.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My daughter is ADHD and takes meds for it, but her Dr suggest that on the week ends and the days she doesnt have school that we give her drug holidays and on those days if she starts getting ancy we have her take a deep breath count to 3 and focus on what she is supposed to be doing. It has been working for us the longer we have used that method the fewer times we have to remind her. She will do it on her own taking some self control.
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010