Anybody have any unique ideas on how to potty train a 4 yr. who refuses to sit on the potty?

My son is 4 yrs old. He was a four month preemie. He knows when he has to go potty, both pee and poop, and he goes and hides to do it. He refuses to use the potty or potty chair. He is in undies I have not gone back to diapers I refuse to give in to diapers. Do any of you have any good ideas or thoughts to help me out? I feel like I will go crazy. Its been almost a full week. I do know that it can take some time though.

arobert29

Asked by arobert29 at 6:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• So you need to bring him into the bathroom and stand their. Tell you want him off the toilet. Every hour.

Answer by louise2 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My son is almost 4 and I am having problems with the potty too! I saw in the store a trainer potty kit and this week I am going to buy it, I will let you know how it works.
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• He is almost there if he is hiding. Take him regularly to the potty and read to him while he sits there or come up with some super reward for him.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• when I take him to the potty he refuses to sit on it throws a fit screams kicks out. He has sat on it before but does nothing until he gets off a little while later. I have tried rewards and other thing as well. I know he is almost there if he is hiding but it seems like we are stuck there lol. and yes melissa please do let me know how it works
    arobert29

Comment by arobert29 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Get the info from Melissa and also I don't know if you have seen the posts where some of the moms here have said to go bare bottom and he will not like the way it feels. Sit him down and tell him this is how it will be and that he is old enough to be using the potty. He most likely understands. I still would come up with a big reward. He surely has a favorite thing that he would like.

I have also read on here about the 3 day potty training method which a couple of moms liked. You can Google it. I wish you all the best!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My son is 3 & he has been potty trained since he was 2, he did this on his own.. I tried to MAKE him do it & that was NOT happening.. We took fruit loops (the colors attract them) & put them in the toiley & made a game out of it. I told him to try to shoot the fruit loops with his peepee, after he got that down pat, he went along with sitting on it to poop. We also let him go out on the back porch & "water the flowers" or pee on his daddy's tires and he LOVED IT! This may work for you. Try it and let me know.
    ManthaCole9406

Answer by ManthaCole9406 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If it's full out refusal to go, try taking away something that he loves and make him earn it back. It's how I got my son to start pooping consistently in the potty. He knew how, did it here and there, but just didn't want to make the effort. He loves playing on our nintendo DS, so I put it up high where he could see it and told him that when he was big enough to poop in the potty he could get to play it. He did 2 days of not pooping (i reminded him about it each day) and the third day he decided he really wanted to play so he went in and tried. Has been doing it consistently ever since I started.
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 2:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2010