a boyfriend?!?!?!?!?!?!

Ok, what age did you start dating....my daughter was talking to her friend and they brought up how another friend of theirs was dating some boy. They are all in 7th grade....i'm kinda a young mom..my kids are 12 and 9....7th and 4th grade... i will be 31 next month...i'm not ready for my daughter to be dating...i dread the day she says she has a botfriend...
I didn't start dating until 10th grade...maybe i was just a slow start..

kld1979

Asked by kld1979 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I had a BF in 8th grade, but didn't "date" until I was a freshman.
    RJNEELEY

Answer by RJNEELEY at 6:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i was 11.... it was a 4 hour thing. HA!
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 6:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I didn't start dating until I was 16....but I know my step daughter had a boyfriend at 10...yes, 10, and they were together on and off for four years. Her mother let them date too...alone...yeah my husband wasn't too happy about that.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 6:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• well there is a difference between "dating" and having a boyfriend. I think you need to find out exactly what she is talking about.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 6:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I was 10 but it was just like a whatever thing... I think it is more for them to say they have a bf at that age. Also, even if you don't allow it - some will do it behind your back just bc u said no...
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• at that age there is a difference between dating and having a boyfriend. i didnt start dating until i was 16, but i had "boyfriends" at school before that.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• DS, in 5th grade, came home all upset, because some of the girls wanted him to be their,"boyfriend." He tried to tell them he only wanted to be their friend, but they kept on him. So, I told him to tell them," My Mom says I can't have a girlfriend until I'm in high school and can drive." His response..." Oh, thank you Mom!!!" with a huge hug. He went to school and told them and they're all friends again.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 7:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• The rule at my house was no boyfriends before 16- So I could drive myself out of a bad situation if I needed to.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I was 12, I think. 6th grade. Luckily his brother was friends with my brother so the 4 of us would go to the movies together and we would hold hands.  That was the extent of our "dating" until we were like 14.

He as my first love.  I found out he died in 2001 at the age of 24.  I was devestated.  I hadn't talked to him since we were like 16 or 17.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My boys were in 6th grade, but they weren't "dating" it was more of a label for them. I'm not sure what the deal is its not like they have long phone conversations, spend time together or really do anything but see each other at school. They were always short lived, well my youngest is in 6th grade so I'm waiting for the next gf to crop up in conversation. I don't make a big deal of it at all, and just remind him that girlfriends are waste of time and too needy at this age. (I think the same could be said for boys to someone's daughters as well).
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 9:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010