How much formula should my six month old daughter eat? She is eating solids for breakfeast, luch, and supper. She weighs 13lbs.

magster18

Asked by magster18 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow, i cant believe i cant remember, feels like my kids are teens or something, and they are only 4 & 2. I would ask her pediatrician, i think my kids were only eating an 8 ounce bottle
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 10:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Offer 6 oz. after each meal. If she finishes that bottle, then the next meal offer 6 1/2 oz. If she finishes that one, then the next meal go up to 7 oz. and go up from there. As she grows she will prob. drink more, but also as she is eating more solids and getting her nutrition there, she might not drink as much formula. Don't forget to be offering protein with each meal. Most new parents forget the importance of protein for a fast growing body. :) You are welcome to chat with us at Common Sense Parenting here on cafemom. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:10 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• A rule of thumb is to multiply your child's body weight times 3 to figure out the ounces your baby needs to eat in 24 hours. So, if your baby is 13 pounds, I would make sure my baby eats between 36-42 ounces a day, with 39 ounces being optimal. Some days she will eat less, somedays more. That is why I put a range in there. The formula is more important than the food at this age, as formula has more calories. May I ask what your baby weighed at birth? She is a little on the petite side for weight, but that could be totally fine is she was a little small at birth. She is on around the 8th percentile for weight, but if she were petite or you are petite it may just be normal for her.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 10:19 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• She weighed 4lbs. 15oz. This was normal for her because me and her father aren't very big.
    magster18

Answer by magster18 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• use this chart it'll help alot
    http://www.earthsbest.com/baby_nutrition/feeding_schedule_print.php
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2008