Church + Teenagers

It seems like nowadays there are some kids that only go bc their parents make them... to have a social gathering with friends... to meet boys... etc

Why do you honestly think parents aren't trying to do anything to bring church back to what it was meant for?

ajc88

Asked by ajc88 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Religious gatherings, religious gathering places, have always had that element of social interaction linked to them.

For many religions throughout history, the religious gathering place was the place where people met their future spouses (or matchesz were arranged), where people met employers, community meetings were held, community help given.....etc..etc.

Socializing and religion go hand and hand in many ways and always have. In my honest opinion, social interaction is one of the things that religious gatherings/religious gathering places is meant for. Socializing and gathering with those of like faiths/beliefs/feelings..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Church has always been a part of life- social and otherwise-its always been a refuge, a place to gather... what am I missing in this question?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think they anything that gets them to go to church is great! Church is a wonderful place to meet friends and boys and enjoy good fellowship.\ while learning the word of God. They may enjoy the mingling and fun activities but I can't imagine a better setting than a good active Youth Group.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You think this is a NEW thing.

I think most kids go anywhere bc their parents make them. Kids at weddings, church, funerals, Aunt Betsy's 80th birthday party. Kids go because they have to. It is good that they like the social aspects and churchs know that. That is why many churchs have a lot of activites for teens. The more they like something as teens, the more likely they will stick to it as adults.

Church doesn't have to be boring to get the point across. Plus... what church was "meant for" varies so much by church, by region, by country. Personally I like the more lively social upbeat church. Count me in with the teens when things get to dry and boring.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 7:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• The fact that half of them never learn anything...
    ajc88

Comment by ajc88 (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Not in my church's youth group.. Kids come because they are welcomed, loved and feel safe there. We now have 90 youth that come.. not all come at same time but the most on a Mon night is around 40-50 at a time.
    They want to come. Their parents do not make them come. They want to be there and love it. They are encouraged to be who they are in Christ! Its awesome!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Alot has to do with leadership and how they treat the youth! I love our youth, they are our future!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2010