• In the Spotlight:

From my bed to her own crib at 4 months... How?

So, my daughter and I have been sleeping together every night since birth. She is now 4 months. My husband and I have different sleep habits, so he sleeps down stairs on the couch, but we are changing that. As of last night, we tryed putting Cambria down awake and sleeping both, and she would not go to sleep, or she would wake up immediately. Then, she started crying, and I let her lay there and cry for 20 minutes, but she just cried harder. So, we ended up all 3 of us sleeping in the bed. I LOVE having her sleep with me, but my husband and I need to "be married" again, and this is hard. I did start putting her down in the crib for naps, during the day and she sleeps fine without me when I work... I dont know what to do! Please help!

Foreternity6907

Asked by Foreternity6907 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It takes the human 3 times to change a habit and 3 times to build one. :) You can begin by building a good nitetime routine that will signal her brain that sleep is coming and place her in her own bed. When she begins to cry, allow her a certain amount of time and then go back to the habit that she is used to. Each nite I would lengthen that time to allow her to realize that this bed is the one that she will sleep all nite. :) I would also keep her room completely dark. Noise and light make the brain active which will startle and wake her. It shouldn't take too long to make the change. ;) You could do cold turkey that seems rather harsh. Remember that this is a habit that was created by the parents, so she is simply reacting to the change of mind. Common Sense Parenting, here on cafemom! :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Ya, my suggestion was going to be naps in her crib... so that she started associating it as a safe place and a place to sleep. Also, put her in her crib when she is awake... that way she knows where she is, and she can learn to fall asleep on her own. I think being attentive to her cries is important... let her know that you hear her, and that you are there for her, but that she is going to sleep in her crib. I would pick her up, calm her, then place her back in the crib... if she learns that if she cries enough you will bring her to your bed... you could be in for it!!! Good luck! We also co-sleep, but I make Jude nap on his own, and nap in his crib (have since birth) to hopefully make the transition an easy one.
    Amy_Plus_One

Answer by Amy_Plus_One at 10:57 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• To add to the moms above, be consistent, and be patient. Don't get discouraged. It took both of my girls around a week to get use to the idea of thier own bed. My 5 year old loves sleeping in her own room to this day, and my 7 month old is teething so we have good nights and we have bad nights, but I keep the routine the same. Goodluck, I know how hard it can be, and how much better everyone will sleep in thier OWN bed, in the end.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 11:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I realize that it is tough Momma, but you have to be tougher! Don't lose heart! You are better off doing it now as opposed to later. I was nervous about my DS starting to sleep in his bedroom too. We got a video monitor (we use a "security camera" that has night vision and sound with a small receiver), and that helped bunches. When he started crying, I was able to see if something was wrong or if he was just fussing. I would go in at progressively longer intervals to tell him that I loved him and was still here. Now, it is 4 months later and he LOVES his crib.
    ILuvMyBoyz0608

Answer by ILuvMyBoyz0608 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Also, a good night-time routine. What I did, was to run a bath and get in with my DS. We would listen to some calm music, I would let him play a little while, then wash him and let him nurse. Then, I put on Johnson's Bedtime Lotion, a clean diaper and jammies. If he still needed calming down, I would rock him and sing a favorite lullaby or two. To this day, I still say that for my "happy-baby-recipe", all I have to do is add water. If he gets to the point where he is overly tired, I do this routine, and he goes out like a light! I hope this helps. Good luck!
    ILuvMyBoyz0608

Answer by ILuvMyBoyz0608 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• There is a new product that may help. Check out www.magicsleepsuit.com. Its a sleeper that helps sooth the baby to sleep.
    Anonymous