1st time away

I find myself thinking more and more about when I'll be ready for my son to spend the night away. I think it'd be good for him, but I'm nervous. I'd prefer he stay at a grandparent's house the first time. SO, the question is, where did your kids stay the first time? if it was grandparents, which ones did you choose and why? I'm concerned about mil because she is always in some sort of arthritis pain and complains every time she's here. plus she lives on a farm with very large cows and two ponds, so obviously those are concerns too. should i just wait till its necessary for him to?

imanixon2

Asked by imanixon2 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my daughter was two weeks, my mom took her for the night. It was a great break. Why her? B/c she's in town and she offered. That was the first weekend she was on supplimental formula and I had been told to pump by the doc so we could see how much I was producing, so I had some breastmilk saved up to send.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• when my son was 3 months.... my mom took him over night. it was my 21st =)... but i trust my mom the most and knew hed be ok with her. she also had my 1 1/2 old nephew the same night... so it was his first sleep over .
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My daughter was three, it was a sleepover at her cousins house. I trust my sister completely and my daughter was ready to go. I worry about grandma. She says she wants to take the girls but never sets a date to do it; so I think she is just trying to be nice. I think she likes my oldest more. I feel bad for my younger girl- never getting as much attention from grandma.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 11:28 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Overnight the first time ...My Mom took them for a weekend so we could get away. I believe they were 4 and 8. They were that old because we had been stationed in Hawaii from the time they were 9months and 4.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:55 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Isaak and Brett were about 10mos the first time they stayed away their first night. They stayed at my mom and dads cause they had the time. I was going on business trips and I was with him. So we were gone a week each time. Since then there have been many times!
    meandtheboys107

Answer by meandtheboys107 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My son had his first overnight at 10 months because I just wasn't ready before that. It actually turned out to be a great break, and good for both of us! He is a mama's boy. I stay at home with him, so we are both pretty attatched to each other. He stayed with my SIL. It was nice because he has two cousins there to play with. Since then, he has had a few more. If you think it's time, then it probably is. It won't be as awful as you think. You'll probably end up enjoying some time to yourself!
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 1:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• my dd stayed at my parents (dad and step mom) house (there was no way i was going to let her stay unattended at MIL)
    my MIL is so busy about herself that i felt she would just forget that she had a little guest
    my dad has had 6 babies so that was obvious first choice
    my mother watched my dd at 6 months while i went ot job interview (1 hour) and i came home to my baby in a different room than her with a piece of raw broccoli in her mouth (no teeth yet either) so that wasnt going to happen!
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• thanks for the answers. i know for sure i'm not ready now, i stay at home too, so we're also attached. hubby thinks my parents would ignore our son (ke go off to answer the phone and leave him somewhere and him fall) and i'm nervous about his parents because we've had issues getting his mom to listen to us when we tell her what to do regarding our son. (we had a "backriding" incident. he didnt fall off, but hubby had to practically yell at her to put him down since he wasnt comfortable with our son on his back) I'm also nervous about the large cows and the ponds, and MIL's age/health. I think I'd prefer to wait until he knows where he is, either that or do it when its necessary.
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2008