Baby friendly initiative = BYO Formula?

On a blog I was reading, this mom in NZ was upset because the hospital she delivered at was "baby friendly" and didn't offer formula for elective purposes. She described how difficult it was to get boiling water for sterilization and how little the nurses knew about formula feeding and that they made her feel bad. Now, I understand how nurses can make a new mom feel horrible... but that happens everywhere and for any number of reasons (and that doesn't make it right).

I was just surprised that a mom who was planning to use formula and delivered in a hospital she knew didn't offer it wasn't more prepared? Is it really that difficult if the hospital doesn't provide the formula... what happens when you go away for a few days with a formula fed baby?

What do you think? Should hospitals provide formula for elective purposes?

LeanneC

Asked by LeanneC at 7:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• In most places it is the reps that handle the formula samples for elective purposes. This hospital had to be blatantly against it which I think it kind of sad. I mean I am all for breast is best and I breast fed both of my kids and I think hospitals should encourage every mother and baby who is capable to at least try, not force but encourage them to try it. I think they should be curious to those who choose not to and offer the alternative. After all we are talking about newborns who in most cases are only there for 2 days max and someone else(sales reps) is providing the majority of it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Feeding formula is NOT illegal and Breast feeding is NOT required, so yes, the hospital should provide formula... The majority of the formula companies provide it to the hospitals at little to no cost because it's a tax write off anyways, so there is no "it would cost more" to offer formula. As a mother it's your choice whether or not to nurse. While I - PERSONALLY - feel everyone should at least TRY to nurse, if someone chooses not to, that's their choice. They should at least give you the option to purchase it there if they are really against offering it...

That said, I have yet to understand the need for boiling water or anything... I have never in my life boiled water to make formula... Warm tap water, a scoop of formula and shake... Or you can do what my SIL did and by it premixed... Seriously, how is this complicated, even if you need to bring your own.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't think they should provide it. You know you are having a baby and if you choose to use formula...bring your own. BM is free and formula isn't, why should the hospital be required to give anything like formula, diapers, clothes and items to you for free?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• *courteous not curious! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My hospital always provided formula. I didn't know they did not. They ask you before you deliver if you are breastfeeding or bottle feeding so they know if they need to feed your baby in the nursery.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think we are in America are desensitized to alot of the world. It was in New Zealand, a country where woman breast feed on a normal basis past a year of age and longer (though still looked at oddly) I think the mom may have expected the hospital to supply for the beginnings of life because many do, but they don't have to, and in any case I agree she should have been prepared to supply her own regardless if it was supplied or not, even hospitals that carry it run out at times
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 7:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• To be considered a "baby friendly hospital" they must not offer anything other than breastmilk to newborns unless medically indicated. So, it's not about being legal or illegal, it's about earning this distinction from the WHO and UNICEF. I don't know... I figure if you don't want to breastfeed, you bring your own. It's not about cost, but if that's your personal choice, you should be providing it.

Just like if I wanted to cloth diaper while in the hospital I would have to bring my own. Would it be easier for the hospital to provide it (and wash it!) yea...! But it's my choice and it's not something they offer, so I either BYO or use what they have available.
    LeanneC

Comment by LeanneC (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with you...why expect them to provide for your decision?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I delivered my son in a hospital in Texas... my other son in a hospital in California. Both hospitals offered formula as well as had lactation nurses on staff if you chose to breastfeed. They even brought pumps to your room... and if you were feeding formula they sent you home with 3 weeks worth of those formula individual bottle six pack things... so I didn't even know that some hospitals didn't offer both.. wow
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 7:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My hospital where I delivered was "baby friendly" but not really mom friendly. I had breast cancer when I was in my early 20s and had a total mastectomy So I am not able to breast feed. When my husband asked a nurse to help him prepare a bottle she gave him a dirty look and said if we were going to feed our baby poison we had to figure it out on our own. My husband informed her I was unable to breast feed due to breast cancer and he didn't appreciate her attitude. She immediately was nice and apologized then helped him. We asked for another nurse who was equally rude about the formula until we told her about the breast cancer. I let her know she needed to send a non judgemental nurse who actually read her patients chart. We finally got one and later I filed a complaint about both nurses. The hospital rep said they did nothing wrong and I should have tried to nurse anyway. Idiots.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 8:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010