Mexicans were here?

President Obama proclaimed that Mexicans were here even before the United States was an idea.Mexicans?really? That is a very ignorant thing to say.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/09/21/obama_mexicans_were_here_long_before_america_was_even_an_idea.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ummm--That would be Spanish--Spainish explorers settled that area.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• In some parts of the country.. Yes.. Texas, California were Mexico before becoming part of the US.

So yes, in some parts of this country, mexicans were here first and were in those areas of the US before the "US" as a nation ever came into being.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well, I know parts of the country (California, New Mexico and other portions of the Southwest) actually WERE originally part of Mexico, as late as 1848, so how is this wrong?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• But does that make the US less than it is? It is the constant "stirring the pot" that I don't understand. Why say something like that which will cause more division? Why not work to bring together instead of push apart? He is the most divisive pres. I have ever known. It just baffles me that my pres. would be the person that causes such unrest in my country. Why?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• He also said that he visited fifty seven states. He's not really a detail guy, he's more into the "big picture"
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• LOL!! Lori, you and your pesky facts!! I am a native Texan and I was about to point out the pesky fact you mention. Thank you for doing if for me...the responses following it have me in stitches!!

The United States was NOT the United States before the Revolutionary War, we were the Briish Colonies. Doesn't anybody study history anymore?? LOL
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• mommy_of_two388

I would think that he used that term because if someone is from Mexico they are "Mexican".
    I can't think of any other term that would be used.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• People from MEXICO are MEXICANS... Seriously, why do some people feel the need to find something wrong with our President, even when he did not, in fact, say or do anything wrong?

***

You see the problem with his statement is that he said MEXICANS were in what we call America LONG before America was an idea. When in FACT, American declared her independence in 1776....whereas Mexico did not declare itself an independent country until 1810, and wasn't recognized until 1821! THEREFORE, "Mexicans" as Obama is referring to in his speech, did not exist. Like layh said, they were Spaniards and explorers from several different countries.

Maybe this is why Obama refuses to release his college transcripts?! LOL What's even funnier, is we all know Obama just reads what is put on his teleprompter, so his SPEECH WRITERS are even dumber!! Doesn't anyone in his administration know what Wikipedia is?! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Lori, the indigenous people of Mexico would be Mexicans. Well I guess Native Mexicans but it is all the same.

***
    Ah, but you see the Mexico wasn't Mexico, just like America wasn't America back then, as we know them TODAY!!! Mexicans couldn't have come from a country that was yet to be named!!! The people BECAME Mexicans AFTER 1821...and Americans came before that in 1776. Now, YOU do the math! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Read the quote you guys...your issue is with the word "Mexicans" in that quote? That's cutting it pretty thin. As I said, it is clear that he was talking about the indigenous population that existed (despite current boundaries) that are now called Mexican people. I'm talking about Aztec people and others that spanned from the southwest of what is now the US to the northern part of what is now Mexico. Who now are called Mexican. Maybe he should have said "The indigenous people of the western central part of North America. "
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2010