Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschool: My husband was homeschooled by his mom in kansas but she never registered with the state as a private school so

will the diploma still uphold when it comes to colleges or jobs
we dont know if you are really supose to have to register with the state as a private school or not.
was anything supose to be turned into the state each year or not?
and if she messed up by not registering with the state as a private school and did not turn in any paper work to the state each year what is his other option?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in

Answers (9)
  • I honestly have no idea...

    I would think that if it's not upheld, then his option would be to register to take either the GED or whatever test is necessary to receive an actual diploma. I have no idea who he would need to talk to, but my guess would be the school board

    Answer by dlandrum at 7:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • You may want to check the laws in your state. If there is nothing to prove it, then he may need a GED

    Answer by lowencope at 7:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • My parents did the same exact thing so- I have NO record of my education. He will have to take the GED exam.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • My parents did the same thing as well. I was not pleased when I found out because now it feels like my graduation was a sham and I had to take the test for a GED. I am horrible with tests I can know the subject in and out but then as soon as I have to test on it I freak out and go blank and fail. It took me three tries to pass it and you have to pay each time (which my parents made me pay out of pocket for each time) I'm still bitter about it.

    Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • THIS is why I am a strong believer in Public School education. I feel sorry for kids whose Moms don'teven KNOW if what they are teaching is going to qualify and enable their kids to get a real degree. It can prevent kids from continuing education past high school and prevent them from being a successful adult. Education is so important, you can't just fool around and "play school" at home. You need to know what to do even before you decide if you want to Home school. If you are not equipped to do it, then just don't.Send them to Public School.

    Answer by gertie41 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Check with your state. Some do, and some dont. What curriculum did she use? Was it an accredited one? There are many curriculum's out there that are 100% accredited and do offer a diploma. Where did his diploma come from? Many Universities and colleges do welcome homeschooled students. Just call and double check. Even if it will not be enough, he will most likely have to take the GED test. Try not to freak out about it.

    Answer by RheaF at 11:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2010


    There is a link to the Kansas homeschooling laws. Now things may have changed from when your DH was homeschooled. These are the current laws for the state. I would still call and check.

    Answer by RheaF at 11:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • He should have registered with the state as being home schooled. He needs to check with the Kansas Department Of Education or Instruction to know for certain.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • It depends on the college, but I know in Texas, a 4 year University won't recognize an unaccredited homeschool program diploma, so he would have to attend a 2 year Community College first and then transfer. I think the military even makes them get a GED now if they have an unaccredited diploma.

    Answer by KimPippin at 2:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in
School projects

Next question overall (Trying to Conceive)
Very Excited