the in laws and the crib

My daughter is 4 months and me and my husband are ready for her to start sleeping her crib in her room (she usualy sleeps in a crib in our room), so she will be by herself. I think that she will do really well with it and i want to start now, however, my mother in law tells me that i shouldn't put her in a room by herself becuase kalven(my hubby) never slept by himself...makes no sense i know....and when i tell her well she's our daughter and thats what we think is best for her she tells us that we dont love our daughter and don't care about her and threatens to take her away...how can i get around this?

maddoxsmommy605

Asked by maddoxsmommy605 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ignore her. Who cares what she says. You know you love your daughter. That's all that matters. :)
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 10:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Tell her unless she is mommy- she has no say in what you do with your child. Don't even give her fuel for the fire - don't tell her what you are planning to do - just do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Wow now I had the opposite deal with my in laws we co-slept with out daughter just ignore them so long as you have a monitor set up to hear the baby she will be just fine in her room.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 11:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Tell her if she keeps threatening to kidnap your daughter because she doesnt know what she is talking about then you will get a restraining order or something, thats just ridiculous that she is sayingn that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• ignore it! She can't take your baby away from you; and if you and hubby feel it's what's best then just do it. There's no reason to tell her about it.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:08 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• You are the parents...:) You need to set your bounderies with other people.

You can tell her nicely that you appreciate her concern, but you believe she will be okay. Say thank you for your concern, but if it doesn't work out we will bring her back in the room for a few more months.

The only reason my baby is in my room is because it's a huge room (we converted the family room into a bedroom) and her room doesn't have a carpet yet. :(
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 11:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Oh, I didn't relize she threatened...that changes things. Definetly set BOUNDERIES now!!!
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 11:22 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Well there really is no "getting around" it. Just tell her what you and your husband have decided and do it. Teaching your baby to sleep on her own doesn't mean you don't love them. Unless she has better grounds then you letting your baby sleep in her own room, I wouldn't worry about her taking her away. Both my girls started sleeping in their own room when they were around 2 months. (when they started sleeping through the night). It is your choice you are the parent, she doesn't have to loke every choice ypou make but she does have to respect it and I would tell her that. Goodluck!
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 11:40 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• sorry for the typos..I mess up when I type fast.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 11:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Maybe you should buy this book....:) Best wishes to you!

Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life (Paperback)
    by Henry Cloud (Author),
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 11:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2008